Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  19/ABR/2005 12:01 PM
Assunto:  Re: Posso usar o presente para falar do futuro ?

Mensagem:  Bom dia, Ella! Vou tentar de ajudar você hoje. The sentence I just wrote may help you. In the same way in Portuguese that you use the verb "ir" plus the verb infinitive -- aqui "vou" + "tentar" -- we use "will" plus a verb infinitive in English to form a kind-of future tense. [I will try to help you today. Note: "will" + "help"] I have a new book called "Modern Portuguese, A Reference Grammar" by Mário A. Perini, in which he goes into this, calling it "simple futurity." Disse: The Portuguese verb has two main ways of expressing future events: the FUTURE tense and the sequence of the auxiliary IR (in the personal) plus an infinitive...." [First he expresses the FUTURE tense]: O presidente falará à nação hoje às nove horas. "The president will address the nation tonight at nine." [Then] "The sequence IR + infinitive can occur in all styles and is the only one found in informal speech: "O presidente vai falar à nação hoje às nove horas." "The president will address the nation tonight at nine." Both ways of expressing this sentence in Portuguese translate the same in English. So, in your sentence "will" + "become" form a future tense in English. The exact translation of this sentence, I will leave up to you. However, the phrase "will probably become" can be varied by using something like "will most likely become" or "will quite likely become" to accommodate the "muito" in "muito provável." I hope this helps. I am not an English teacher (and just a student in Portuguese) but am a native English speaker/writer. Good luck to you all in your studies! Ana Here's another way to express the future in English, as pointed out by another EMB ajudante: This same sentence can also be roughly translated as: "The president is going to address the nation tonight at nine." Here, we have the combination IS GOING TO to express a sort-of future tense in English. That will give you more "food for thought" in future discussions ... I think the EMB exchange was in reference to "manchetes," though that was not the "title" given, so if you check back within the past month, there will be a message and replies about verbs used in English headlines on this website.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Posso usar o presente para falar do futuro ?  –  Ella  19/ABR/2005, 10:19 AM
 Re: Posso usar o presente para falar do futuro ?  –  Ana M  19/ABR/2005, 12:01 PM
Re: Posso usar o presente para falar do futuro ?  –  Johannes  19/ABR/2005, 12:44 PM
Re: Posso usar o presente para falar do futuro ?  –  Ana M  19/ABR/2005, 1:06 PM
Pollution  –  Johannes  19/ABR/2005, 2:51 PM
Re: Pollution  –  Ana M  19/ABR/2005, 8:41 PM
Re: Pollution  –  breno  20/ABR/2005, 4:25 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K