[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/ABR/2005 9:04 PM
Assunto:  Re: take the cake

Mensagem:  Hi Johannes! Olha, este frase "take the cake" em inglês não tem nada a ver com a expressão do que vocês estão escrevendo em português. Seria melhor esperar para o Tom ou uma outra pessoa que possa descrever a frase em português. Eu sei duas frases em inglês usando "cake": Um disse: "That takes the cake" So there is a contest and a lot of people enter. And one person enters something really crazy -- That takes the cake! So it's kind of like being the best or the craziest at something, though it doesn't really have to be a contest. Some guy marries 10 women, doesn't like the 10th, and goes on to take an 11th bride. Some people might say "That takes the cake!" We have another phrase: "Doesn't that beat all!" It kinda says the same thing. There's another saying that goes something like "I'll take my cake and eat it, too" or "I'll have my cake and eat it, too." So that is about someone who wants everything, both sides of a coin, like that. I don't know the equivalent phrase in Portuguese -- probably isn't one with the exact word, "cake," but maybe something along the same lines. I've got a phrase/saying book, but it is only Portuguese-English so I don't have the English cross-reference. Hope this helps a little, anyway. Why doesn't someone bring this back up when Tom gets back unless someone else out there can clarify things better. Hope all is well with you, Johannes! :) :) :) Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
take the cake  –  mano  20/ABR/2005, 11:25 AM
Re: take the cake  –  Masa  20/ABR/2005, 5:05 PM
Re: take the cake  –  Masa  20/ABR/2005, 5:05 PM
Re: take the cake  –  André Oliveira  20/ABR/2005, 5:20 PM
Re: take the cake  –  Masa  20/ABR/2005, 5:32 PM
Re: take the cake  –  André Oliveira  20/ABR/2005, 5:55 PM
Re: take the cake  –  Johannes  20/ABR/2005, 6:10 PM
 Re: take the cake  –  Ana M  20/ABR/2005, 9:04 PM
Re: take the cake  –  Johannes  21/ABR/2005, 9:05 AM