[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/ABR/2005 10:27 AM
Assunto:  Re: please help me with this question

Mensagem:  Hi Jose! How about this (with a few changes in words)?: 3 We learn a lot FROM another culture. 2 SOME aspects of a different culture can both excite and disappoint a foreign visitor. 4 Getting in contact with a second culture can bring about difficulties, since we are faced with different ways of living. 1 It can help us to understand our own. André's order is also good. Certainly, also, your 2-4-3-1 order would work, but the thought doesn't seem to flow as easily. A paragraph is all about introducing a subject, elaborating on it, and then summing up the thought, the introducing sentence (faz sentido?). If you take sentences 3 and 1, they combine well on their own: We learn a lot from another culture; it can help us to understand our own. So the "in between" sentences, 2 & 4, elaborate on this. My selection is further based upon sentence-length variety (so that the paragraph "reads well," reads smoothly), a hope to maintain thought flow and also avoidance of word duplication (i.e., "different" used twice in the same sentence). So, this is probably a matter of style -- this order and word change reflects my particular style. Always look for your own writing style; there are usually several ways to arrange sentences within a paragraph. Hope this input is of help to you. Boa sorte! :) :) :) Ana P.S. My personal preference would also be to omit the "to" before "understand": It can help us understand our own. There may be a grammatical reason to include the "to," but I usually omit it if not absolutely necessary -- again, my own style.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
please help me with this question  –  Jose Rocha  22/ABR/2005, 7:01 AM
Re: please help me with this question  –  André Oliveira  22/ABR/2005, 9:34 AM
Re: please help me with this question  –  jose rocha  22/ABR/2005, 9:41 AM
 Re: please help me with this question  –  Ana M  22/ABR/2005, 10:27 AM
Re: please help me with this question  –  André Oliveira  22/ABR/2005, 10:29 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K