Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/ABR/2005 12:01 PM
Assunto:  To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care less)

Mensagem:  Alo de novo, Alexandre! Escrevi algo assim anteriormente: Good to hear from you! :) :) :) Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. First of all, though, I want to emphasize that I am not sure if "tanto faz" means exactly "I could care less" and this loose translation needs to be taken in the context in which it was written (i.e., a more emphatic version of "it doesn't matter to me," which is a much more polite way of phrasing this sentiment). [I'm going to convert into ALL CAPS the words from the following quotes that were either italicized or within quote marks because text formatting does not carry over onto the EMB website. (The "[sic]" is mine, meaning I think this should read "sometimes" below)] From Bartleby.com Reference cited: The American Heritage Book of English Usage[trademark symbol] A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English: "I COULD CARE LESS! you might say sometime[sic] in disgust. You might just as easily have said I COULDN'T CARE LESS and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I COULD CARE LESS means “I CARE MORE THAN I MIGHT,” rather than “I DON'T CARE AT ALL.” But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing COULD CARE LESS to work as an equivalent for COULDN'T CARE LESS. Because of its sarcasm, COULD CARE LESS is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing." From blogs.salon.com ... Maggi Dawn – July 2004 Entry reads: "Anyway, I wanted to republish a discussion I had with a friend on this very subject a few months ago. I'll call him Bert. Bert began: . . ." "Some PET PEEVES: …" "I COULD CARE LESS - It's COULDN'T, you COULDN'T CARE LESS. Look, if what you are saying is that you don't care about something, then what you want to say is that it is not possible for you to care any less than you do. What you do not want to say is that is it possible for you to care less because that is saying that you do care about the subject." So, you are right, Alexandre. And, as you can tell by the above quotes, I am not the only one who makes this mistake. I will try to be more careful in writing things that are often said incorrectly in everyday speech. Thank you again, Alexandre :) :) :) Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care less)  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 12:01 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 7:55 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 8:05 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  CR  24/ABR/2005, 2:52 AM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 12:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:31 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 1:40 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K