Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Alexandre
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/ABR/2005 7:55 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...

Mensagem:  Hi Ana,
Thanks for your reply.
I will create a situation and use " couldn´t care less" and " could care less" IN A SARCASTIC WAY.

Fluminense , a soccer team from Rio de janeiro has just won the Rio State soccer championship. I dislike fluminense because, well, because they suck and should not exist.THe team that matters in my mind is Flamengo. Anyway the day after fluminense wins the rio state title a fluminense fan aproaches me and asks " what did you think about fluminense winning the championship?"

I would then select between two answers.
1. I couldn´t care less if fluminense won the championship. ( Não me importa em nada que o fluminense tenha vencido o campeonato). In this case i just DON´T CARE AT ALL.
Possible result= The fluminense fan is upset that i don´t care about his teams victory.

2. I Could care less that fluminense won the championship. ( Eu PODERIA me importar MENOS que o fluminense tenha vencido o campeonato). In this case I admit that i do CARE about fluminenes championship win YET i am trying to show that i DO NOT CARE AS much as what the fluminense fan expects me to care so in the future I COULD CARE LESS. ( OU SEJA JA NÃO ME IMPORTO MUITO COM O TITULO OBTIDO PELO FLUMINENSE E NO FUTURO POSSO VIR A DAR AINDA MENOS IMPORTANCIA AO TITULO DO FLUMINENSE).
Possible result= The fluminense fan is so upset about the lack of importance i give to his teams title that he shoots himself.

E DA-LHE MENGO.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care less)  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 12:01 PM
 Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 7:55 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 8:05 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  CR  24/ABR/2005, 2:52 AM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 12:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:31 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 1:40 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K