Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/ABR/2005 1:40 AM
Assunto:  Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...

Mensagem:  Alo Alexandre! The thing is that in English we don't distinguish between "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less." The only difference is that, as you pointed out, one is grammatically correct and the other is not. In writing, you use the correct way (which I did not -- whoops!) and in speaking you can use either one, unless you are a teacher or something, in which case it would be best to speak the correct one. We have other wonderful ways to express our non-interest, as I'm sure you know. My personal favorite is "I could give an FRA" (no, I'm not going to tell you what F.R.A. stands for) In the same sense that "I could care less" or "I couldn't care less" can be used to mean the same thing, I can also say: "I don't give an FRA." I suppose this latter one is the more grammatically correct. Perhaps it is the "could" -- a la subjunctivo/conditional -- that makes this contradiction make sense. Forgive my words, but let's use something common here, that everyone has heard and will understand: "I could give a damn about your new boyfriend." "I don't give a damn about your new boyfriend." These mean the same thing. But: "I do give a damn about your new girlfriend." means exactly what it says. So it must have something to do with the "could" element involved . . . O que é que você acha? Faz sentido? Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care less)  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 12:01 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 7:55 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Alexandre  23/ABR/2005, 8:05 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  CR  24/ABR/2005, 2:52 AM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 12:26 PM
Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  23/ABR/2005, 11:31 PM
 Re: To Alexandre (re-do for could/couldn't care...  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 1:40 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K