[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/ABR/2005 8:29 PM
Assunto:  Re: Give out vs. Give up

Mensagem:  Alo Márcio! Você deve usar "give out" para significar algo como "lançar." Acho que em português um equivalente do "give up" seria "abrir mão." Exemplos: Please don't give out my e-mail address to anyone. Come on, girl, give it up (imagine-se ...) Os homens usam também "put out" neste sentido: She won't put out. [excuse me for these examples, I'm just trying to explain -- I do see a "reveal" type of definition here ...] Outros: Stop bothering me! Do you ever give up? Stop bothering me! Don't you ever quit? I'm confused on these do/don't sentences now -- to my understandiing, we could SAY (not write) either one: Do you ever quit? Don't you ever quit? Do you ever give up? Don't you ever give up? Sei lá. I won't be the first person to give up this fight. Why don't you give up your seat to the lady standing over there? Usamos também "uncle" Ex.: "Say 'uncle'" na parte de uma pessoa lutando com outra e diria isto quando está ganhando. When one man might be fighting another, he will ask the losing fighter to say "uncle," para significar que ele perdeu a luta, quer abrir mão? Now, there are ways to use "give up" meaning to give us something. A robber might ask his target to give up their wallet, "Give it up!" Também temos "give in," usado como "give up." She finally gave in and let him win the argument. Outros significando "reveal" The journalist would not give out his source. The journalist would not reveal his source. He would not give up the name to his interrogator. So, they are a little interchangeable. There are many more give-in, give-up, give-out uses, but I hope this helps a little for now. Sorry if my sentences seem a little out of order -- hard to write these things, really makes you think! Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Give out vs. Give up  –  Márcio Osório  24/ABR/2005, 7:52 PM
 Re: Give out vs. Give up  –  Ana M  24/ABR/2005, 8:29 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K