[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/ABR/2005 11:44 AM
Assunto:  Re: standing on the door

Mensagem:  Alo José Roberto! The usual implication of standing AT a door means that someone is waiting for the other person to answer the door. He was at the door waiting for her to open it and let him in. I actually thought of another use for "waiting on the door." You would use this if you had ordered a door to be installed in your house. So you were waiting on the door (waiting for the door to arrive). So, if your answer is to be "true" or "false" would depend on what the objective of the lesson you are studying is. If it is the use of prepositions and you believe the implication of the sentence is that someone is AT the door, waiting for someone to come and let them in, then the answer would be FALSE. You do not want to use "on" here. There are several correct ways to use "to wait on" A waiter waits on his customers at a restaurant. I am waiting on your answer (This can also be written: I am awaiting your answer"" OR I am waiting for your answer""). Are you still waiting on me? (quer perguntar si esta' esperando ainda para que eu estar pronto para sair ou com uma resposta)? Does this help? I hope so. [I'm still working on Portuguese prepositions myself, so sorry this is monolingual] Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
standing on the door  –  Jose rocha  25/ABR/2005, 11:09 PM
Re: standing on the door  –  Ana M  25/ABR/2005, 11:35 PM
Re: standing on the door  –  Jose Rocha  26/ABR/2005, 9:45 AM
Re: standing on the door  –  Wauber  26/ABR/2005, 10:08 AM
 Re: standing on the door  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 11:44 AM
Re: standing on the door  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 11:48 AM
Re: standing on the door  –  Jose Rocha  26/ABR/2005, 10:07 PM
Re: standing on the door  –  Ana M  27/ABR/2005, 9:30 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.