[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/ABR/2005 12:59 PM
Assunto:  Re: arrancar a folha

Mensagem:  Alo Márcio! Gee, we're getting technical here . . . It might just be a matter of personal preference/style. I think they all are correctly used at one time or another. We are creatures of habit and usually use what we have learned/heard all our lives. As in Brazil, we have regional differences (I'm speaking of American English, not British English, with which I am not familiar), so in one part of the country a particular usage may be more common and another usage might be more common in another. My personal preference from habitual use seems to be with the preposition "out." READ ON I'm sorry if I was misinterpreting the word "notebook" in your example. If you are referring to loose sheets (folhas afroxadas?) within a binder and you unhinge the rings of the binder, then you would not "tear" or "rip" the sheets; rather, you would "take" the sheets out (you would not take them "off" of a binder in this usage, only take them "out" of a binder [Of course, unless you were mad or frustrated because to tear the loose pages out or rip the loose pages out would be a forceful physical action and not the usual method of undoing the hinge and removing/taking out the pages.] So, in English, this form of notebook that contains loose sheets/pages is often called a "binder," esp. the larger sizes of approx. 8-1/2" X 11". Ex. (teacher says to students): "Will you please take out the current section III from your binder and replace it with the revised one I am handing out." We could substitute the verb "remove" here: "Please remove section III from your binder." For a notebook where the pages are glued or binded in any way, then we would usually use to "tear out" or "rip out" or "tear off" or "rip off". Hope this helps! :) :) :) Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Arrancar a folha  –  Ricky  26/ABR/2005, 10:02 AM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Wauber  26/ABR/2005, 10:23 AM
rip off  –  Johannes  26/ABR/2005, 10:35 AM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 11:08 AM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Márcio Osório  26/ABR/2005, 11:37 AM
 Re: arrancar a folha  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 12:59 PM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 1:12 PM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Ana M  26/ABR/2005, 11:27 AM
Re: arrancar a folha  –  Márcio Osório  26/ABR/2005, 11:44 AM