[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Alexandre
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/ABR/2005 10:08 PM
Assunto:  Roma

Mensagem:  Yes that is the restaurante roma i am talking about. Friends have told me that the saturday feijoada is still alive and strong. I lived at 711 sul for a while so i have contributed to romas finances on various ocasions. The Bife a Portuguesa was another one of my favorites, great big olives with that steak. Also enjoyed cold antartica beers at that place. Which leads me to my question. A watering hole is a bar right? a place one drinks at?
Another popular watering hole in brasilia was, actually still is, Libanus. Funny story about that place. A few years back the director of the federal police ( policia federal) was a regular customer since he is also of arabic ancerstry and enjoyed the lebanese dishes they served. During this time it was illegal to exhange dolars at the paralel rate ( yes, once the brazilian government tried to control the value of the dolar in brazil using an "oficial rate"). Anyway while the director was downstairs having a beer and some quibes ( kibes), upstairs, in a room hidden behind the restroom they secretly had a currency exchange ( casa de cambio).
The place eventually got busted. The bar is still there though.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Tom  –  Alexandre  25/ABR/2005, 8:10 PM
Back to Alexandre  –  Tom  26/ABR/2005, 5:38 PM
 Roma  –  Alexandre  26/ABR/2005, 10:08 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K