[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  28/ABR/2005 10:35 AM
Assunto:  Re: to lean on x lean against

Mensagem:  Hi Márcio! Please, no need to ask for forgiveness for just trying to figure out English prepositions! Just take a look at my attempts to write Portuguese . . . I don't know what Google turned up for you. Let me tell you, as I browse the internet sometimes I see A LOT of mistakes made in English that has apparently been written by a non-native speaker/writer. So, just because it's on the internet (or on TV or radio) doesn't mean it is correct English. That said, the expression goes "too much time on my hands" [on your hands, on his hands, etc.] and the preposition used in the expression is "on." I will think up a few sentences with the noun "time": I have spent a lot of time thinking of you. ["thinking about you" is okay in this sentence also] When I went to Brazil, I spent some time in Maceió. If I leave the house now, I think I will get there in time. (Acho que vou chegar "na hora" is how I think it is expressed in Portuguese. In time, you will learn to have patience in these matters. So, let's see, in every instance here I have used the preposition "in" with time. Then, this phrase "time on my hands" must be separated grammatically as "time" + "on my hands," and the preposition makes more sense here: How did you get that paint on your hands? He wrote the answers to the test on his hand. There, see, we figured it out together :) :) :) Didn't we? Hope this helps, Márcio. Too bad I'm not a teacher or I could explain things better. I have to work these things through. Um forte abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  27/ABR/2005, 4:28 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Tom  27/ABR/2005, 4:44 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  27/ABR/2005, 4:57 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 12:37 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 4:22 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 10:13 AM
 Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 10:35 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 2:58 PM
Re: on my hands...  –  CR  28/ABR/2005, 11:44 AM
Re: on my hands...  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 3:19 PM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  28/ABR/2005, 9:13 AM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 11:33 AM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 2:45 PM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 3:47 PM
now what the heck?  –  Johannes  27/ABR/2005, 5:59 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K