[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  28/ABR/2005 2:45 PM
Assunto:  Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against

Mensagem:  Alo Márcio! Ana Banana, here :) :) :) My favorite uncle used to call me Ana Banana :) :) :) The nickname always brings a smile to my face. :) :) :) Well, "to invent," used loosely can mean to make up anything, like in your explanations. The term "to coin a phrase" [There actually is a phrase "to coin a phrase, but it means more or less "to cite a phrase" - a weird idiomatic usage. You use it when you are about to use a famous quote]. At any rate, the verb "to coin" is often used in a more formal citation of a usually well-known or famous quote. Ex.: That phrase was coined by Mark Twain. Mae West coined a lot of cool phrases. She was something else! Informal usage: Informally, I (and probably many others) have made up the phrase "Bushit" . . . he he he :) :) :) Certainly, I'm not the only one to have made this up, am I? Do you have any favorite mix-and-match terms you have made up? What a stupid question! Now: I invented that phrase! (this often means that the phrase being used fits that person to a "T" i.e., very well -- yourself or someone else) Ex. "'I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today' -- I invented that phrase." [That's how I would punctuate this anyway; I'm trying to give spoken examples.] "'Look but don't touch!' Who invented that phrase, anyway?" Does this help? I hope so. Yours truly, Ana Banana :) :) :)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  27/ABR/2005, 4:28 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Tom  27/ABR/2005, 4:44 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  27/ABR/2005, 4:57 PM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 12:37 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 4:22 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 10:13 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 10:35 AM
Re: to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 2:58 PM
Re: on my hands...  –  CR  28/ABR/2005, 11:44 AM
Re: on my hands...  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 3:19 PM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Ricky  28/ABR/2005, 9:13 AM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 11:33 AM
 Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Ana M  28/ABR/2005, 2:45 PM
Re: to MARCIO_to lean on x lean against  –  Márcio Osório  28/ABR/2005, 3:47 PM
now what the heck?  –  Johannes  27/ABR/2005, 5:59 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K