[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  20/ABR/2003 10:29 PM
Assunto:  Re: The wind done gone

Mensagem:  Dear People I am thrilled, how I wish I knew more about this main division of South and North, yes, I can imagine that the Civil war left more wounds than I thought or even can imagine.Here things are also very complex, for instance some Southerns (Rio Grande do Sul) are quite proud of their revolt (Revolução dos Farroupilhas) against the old Brazilian empire and even up to now there are people who want to create a separe country (envolving Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Paraná States) even in São Paulo there's (amongst some people for sure, not all) a strong prejudice towards the People from the North-East States (from Bahia to Maranhão). Miguel, I was reading an article about racism and I found something interesting I want to share with you: "Blacks from the North and the South As our country (Brazil) the USA received slaves, although they were more extrem, they had Klu Klux Klan and on the other hand they had Martin Luther King and Malcom X, So one can ask, What are the differences between our racism and theirs? The White Americans are more radicial: anyone that has at least one black forefather is a black, so there is conceptions of pardos to the Americans according to Kabengele Munaga from USP (Universidade de São Paulo). In Brazil prejudice is more to do with the physical aspects of the individual, so the classical "good-looking" requirement when one is looking for a job, we also have a great flexibility and variation when classifing the 'race' of the individual --in 1963, in a 100 inhabited village, they found 40 terms on self-determination skin colour. Each style has its consequences. In the USA the exarcebated racism led to a more united black community and sence of 'brotherhood' in Brazil it never happened effectively because of the more dilluted, less radical and less exacerbeted racism , the make-belive of the racial democracy (Casa Grande Senzala) hinders any effective engament towards racism at least so far 'It's commom the black who reach a higher level in society lose contacts with his/her origns' says João Batista Pereira from USP, it's a disguised racism that press the black and prevent them to organise and mobilise. Martin Luther King would have problems here (in spreading his ideas)." Source: Superinteressante #187, page 49. It's a free translation and the article has been shortened. José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The wind done gone  –  pat  18/ABR/2003, 2:35 PM
Re: The wind done gone  –  Miguel Vieira  18/ABR/2003, 3:24 PM
Re: The wind done gone  –  pat  18/ABR/2003, 8:18 PM
Re: The wind done gone  –  Miguel Vieira  19/ABR/2003, 1:58 PM
 Re: The wind done gone  –  José Roberto  20/ABR/2003, 10:29 PM
Re: The wind done gone  –  pat  21/ABR/2003, 9:02 AM
Re: The wind done gone  –  Miguel Vieira  21/ABR/2003, 8:19 PM
winds of politics  –  pat  22/ABR/2003, 8:16 AM
Re: winds of politics  –  Miguel Vieira  22/ABR/2003, 2:59 PM