[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ricky
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/ABR/2005 12:31 PM
Assunto:  To Ana

Mensagem:  `"Alo Queridos! I am a peaceful soul and have no desire whatsoever to engage in a semantics argument. Regarding "smear," it is quite likely that in Europe it has retained its "to spread" characteristic more than it has in the US where its current usage (despite the definition in the dictionary) usually means to "over-spread," as Márcio puts it," or to apply in overabundance and/or in a somewhat sloppy manner. So, I am not sure where you are writing from, Wauber, but certainly you are correct and I hope you didn't think I was implying that you are working from a dictionary (like my friend was). You are obviously well educated in both languages, whereas I am not (and I am quite rusty, having excelled without study in English throughout my school years, which were completed some time ago. I also am not familiar whatsoever with English usage in European countries). In my previous post, I was merely trying to point out that if Ricardo is sitting on the beach with his sexy girlfriend and wants to ask her in English if she would like him to put some suntan lotion on her back, "smear" would not be the preferable verb to use (not in the US, anyway). He would probably say something like, "Honey, would you like me to rub some suntan lotion on your back?" or "Can I put some lotion on your back for you, dear?" In a similar beach scenario, let's say we have two brothers out for a day in the sun. One would say to the other, "Would ya' like me to smear some of this grease on your back for you?" ("grease" meaning suntan lotion here as a colloq. usage) and it would be quite appropriate and is common here in the US. I was trying not to reveal my ignorance of men's shaving habits and avoided that in my previous post, but "lather," yes, is the common verb used here. So let me try some sample sentences: When Dan shaves, he likes to spread the lather evenly over his cheeks and chin. When Michael shaves, he likes to apply the lather below his chin first (or: to put the lather on his chin first). When Charlie shaves in the morning, he likes to smear the stuff all over his face. All men like to lather up with a good shaving cream before they shave. Steve was just starting to lather up when the phone rang. When I shave my legs, I like to work up a good lather with soap beforehand. [It seems I am always combing "lather" with "up," não é? So, maybe we (in the US) use "lather up" to describe this action and "lather" is used as a noun. More input from the men in the Forum would be of help regarding shaving and lathering up. Thank you so much for your input, Wauber and Márcio. How about you, Ricardo? Have you put any lotion on your girlfriend's back yet? :) :) :)" Ana, just found out about this terrific explantion!I hadn´t seen before. Answering your question, yes, as a matter of fact, I´ve rubbed sun screen (I believe this is also OK, instead of sun lotion ) on my wife´s back.That was a two weeks ago. She kind of felt the difference after your wise orientatios! The weather has not been so great ever since; we´ve been getting some showers lately. It should 'pick up' soon. (I guess to pick up in this sense would be OK, isn´t it)? What is weather like in your neighbourhood? Have you moved house to Brazil or you´re still living in the US? Sorry, for late response! Abraços Ricardo

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 12:31 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Wauber  29/ABR/2005, 1:12 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 1:38 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 1:36 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 2:59 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 4:28 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 5:03 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 7:20 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Márcio Osório  29/ABR/2005, 8:47 PM