[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/ABR/2005 1:36 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Ana

Mensagem:  Hi Ricardo! Oh, you brought this back up!!! Oh, I was hoping never to see it again! Did you see what Wauber wrote? I think he was laughing pretty hard! But, I'm glad you and your wife had some fun in the sun. :):):) Yes, sunscreen (my SpellCheck lets it pass as one word) is fine to use (and good to use . . . to protect the skin!! – commonly called "suntan lotion" also). Well, "picking up" might not be the most accurate phrase in regards to the weather. Since it is so unpredictable, you would probably include some kind of positive word in there whereas "picking up" is kind of neutral and/or implies an increase in what has been happening before. So you would say something like: The weather has been rainy lately, but it's supposed to get better soon ("better" usually being understood to mean "sunny" as the desired improvement). OR It's been so cold lately, but it should warm up soon. If weather "picks up," it could even mean that it is getting worse: It has been very windy lately and it's picking up." That would probably be interpreted to mean that it will get even windier. I have no plans on moving to Brazil anytime soon, but not for lack of desire. I'm still trying to "get my house in order" here in the US. The ideal situation in my mind would be to spend half of the year here in the US and half in Brazil. :):):) CORRECTION: I hadn't seen before – You need to put that darn "ït" in there: I hadn't seen IT before. Portland, OR, has some pretty rotten weather most of the year, but it's still the place I want to stay. I've learned to use "full-spectrum" lighting indoors to offset the lack of sunshine sometimes (we can go for 3 weeks without sunshine during the winter). Some days here start out absolutely beautiful and end up horrible – and vice versa, they can start out horrible and end up absolutely beautiful. Go to "katu.com" and check out the weather cams. You can see some cool scenes sometimes; they're on 24/7/365. And, of course, there's crazy local news – just like in other parts of the country. We have our share here, too, let me tell you! I'm glad you liked the sentences. You seem to like lots of examples so I try to write plenty of them for you. I might have gone a bit overboard with the whole "smear" issue . . . :):):) Um forte abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 12:31 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Wauber  29/ABR/2005, 1:12 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 1:38 PM
 Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 1:36 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 2:59 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 4:28 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ricky  29/ABR/2005, 5:03 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 7:20 PM
Re: To Ana  –  Márcio Osório  29/ABR/2005, 8:47 PM