[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Johannes
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/ABR/2005 1:51 PM
Assunto:  Matter

Mensagem:  «Alo Johannes! Acho que também possa dizer: with the passing of time, with the passage of time.» Oi Ana, Yes, I fully agree. I was just sticking to the words in the query posted. With the 2 examples I used , I meant to illustrate that there is a big difference between "no matter the passing of the years" and " as years go by". In the case of wine, which needs aging, the years do matter. The 2nd example was therefore only posted to show you couldn't use "no matter the passing " presuming every one knew this about wine. Sorry if it was confusing , but hell, it's Friday afternoon!(here) Here are 2 better examples I believe: As years go by , you are bound to get wrinkles around your eyes. No matter the passing of the years, her face was like a 20 year old. I hope I got it sorted out now :) Have a nice weekend Johannes P.S. Just to contradict myself:There is something called "vinho novo" here in Portugal which is not aged at all, which is very popular with the local vinyard owners. It is the first wine from the grapes collected that same season. Ideally it involves also a "matança do porco" in autumn. Both are tasted: Mas foi belo porco!É, e que belo vinho!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Matter  –  John  29/ABR/2005, 11:38 AM
Re: Matter  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2005, 11:54 AM
Re: Matter  –  Israel  29/ABR/2005, 11:57 AM
Re: Matter  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2005, 12:29 PM
Com o passar dos anos  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2005, 12:31 PM
Re: Matter  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 12:59 PM
  Matter  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2005, 1:51 PM
Re: Matter  –  Ana M  29/ABR/2005, 2:24 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.