[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  01/MAI/2005 6:31 PM
Assunto:  Re: The 'brasilianization' of Tom

Mensagem:  Well, it all started in a pizzaria in Ipanema. I was in high school and knew about ten words of Portuguese. I was on a date with a cute brunette who was a year ahead of me in school and we needed another bottle of Brahma to go with the excellent pizza of the kind not available in the USA. Did I say "Uma mais cerveja" or did I say "Mais uma cerveja" when I spoke with the waiter? You guess right. I said it wrong. I was embarrassed. Oh, we got the beer and everyone chuckled but I was not a happy camper. So, when I went back to school on the following day I decided to pay attention in the Portuguese class. The instructor was Miss Collares. Anyone who visits the Escola Americana do Rio de Janeiro website will see pages dedicated to her. She was the happiest, best humored, most fun loving teacher that I had. To make a long story short.....I got excellent grades in Portuguese that year but I had to go to summer school to pass in English.

Years later I got to be assigned to the US Consulate in Rio for a three year period. Later on in life I lived and worked in Brasilia....twice in fact, both times at the Embassy. The first time I lived in a Superquadra and the second time in a house on the Penninsula dos Ministros. In between I lived and worked in places like Tunis, Beirut, Bonn, Quito, Bogota, Lima, Brussels, Tegucigalpa and Panama City. I left Brasilia in 1997 and have lost a lot of my knowledge of the language. Maybe I can get signed up for Globo via satellite and watch the novelas again.

That reminds me....I missed the end of "Rei do Gado" and wonder what happened. Will it ever come out on DVD so we can buy and watch the whole story? What happened to Luanna after she went back to the rocha and had her baby?

I like the language because the people who speak it are down to earth.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The 'brasilianization' of Tom  –  Miguel Vieira  01/MAI/2005, 5:28 PM
 Re: The 'brasilianization' of Tom  –  Tom  01/MAI/2005, 6:31 PM
an little more....  –  Tom  01/MAI/2005, 6:39 PM
Re: The 'brasilianization' of Tom  –  Miguel Vieira  01/MAI/2005, 6:48 PM
Re: The 'brasilianization' of Tom  –  Tom  01/MAI/2005, 7:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K