[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/ABR/2003 3:19 PM
Assunto:  Ao Lucia

Mensagem:  You asked me a question about "ain't", I didn't see it until just now. It is true that there is a strong prejudice against the use of "ain't". It is considered low-class, rightly or wrongly. And it is definitely wrong if it is used for any conjugation other than "I am not". But for "I am not", it has to be as correct as "I'm not", which everyone uses. I think the story is like this: there was a time when the contraction "amn't"(am not), was commonly used. It isn't used any longer, so nobody knows it. What did survive was the low-class pronounciation of it, which sounds like "ain't". Because non-standard speakers use different grammar rules, they used "ain't" for all the conjugations. This habit also survived. So this curious word reflects the history of classism in Engish-speaking history. It could also serve as reliable measure of ancestry among Anglo-Americans. Those that do sometimes use the word "ain't" (like myself, especially if I'm angry) have some or all peasant ancestry. Those that never use the word, even unconsciously, have some or all upper-class ancestry. It is a especially interesting word because class is America's dirty little secret. Americans and the rest of the world like to think we don't have classism here, but we do. We don't like to talk about it, but the word "ain't" tells the story.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Ao Lucia  –  pat  22/ABR/2003, 3:19 PM
Re: Ao Lucia  –  Miguel Vieira  22/ABR/2003, 3:47 PM
Re: Ao Lucia  –  pat  22/ABR/2003, 6:39 PM
Re: Ao Lucia  –  Miguel Vieira  22/ABR/2003, 8:28 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K