[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/ABR/2003 8:28 PM
Assunto:  Re: Ao Lucia

Mensagem:  Pat, you're right. Even people who use "wrong" words or variants have low views towards the stigmatized words and variants they often employ in their daily lives. I, for instance, often find myself being extra careful not to use "improper" English. For instance, I'm sure you've noticed how "strict" the grammar on my postings are at times. The fact is, I am much more liberal when I speak in real life. By liberal, I mean, In real life, my daily grammar is often a mixture of AAVE and SAE. Lest I want to impress someone with my command of SAE. But who put in my mind the concept that command of "standard" English is proof of intelligence. The same ones that put it your mind. I guess we have aquiesced to the demands of hard-line prescritive grammarians. Not just you and I, the vast majority of us. -Miguel Vieira P.S. Did you know that Condoleza Rice is extremelly fluent in AAVE. In fact, I think AAVE is her native variant. Considering how hard she tries to sound and speak "proper", I bet you wouldn't assume it, but she really is.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ao Lucia  –  pat  22/ABR/2003, 3:19 PM
Re: Ao Lucia  –  Miguel Vieira  22/ABR/2003, 3:47 PM
Re: Ao Lucia  –  pat  22/ABR/2003, 6:39 PM
 Re: Ao Lucia  –  Miguel Vieira  22/ABR/2003, 8:28 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K