[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  01/JUN/2005 1:32 PM
Assunto:  Re: to Ana M

Mensagem:  Hi Snow & Tom! OK, getting down to the nitty gritty now . . . Yeah, it's got something to do with the fact that the proper noun – São Paulo, Chiquita, Chevrolet, etc. -- turns into an adjective when placed into a sentence this way (between the verb and the object). You need "the" before these words when used as adjectives (because you are technically using "the" with the noun they describe). You do not need "the" before these words when used as proper nouns. [As always in English, there might be exceptions, but this would be the general rule.] 1. I turned on the radio this morning. I - subject turned on -- verb the radio – direct object (article + noun) this morning -- adverbial phrase Turned on what? the radio 1A. I turned on my GE radio this morning. I - subject turned on – verb radio -- direct object (noun) -my GE – (possessive pronoun + proper noun, describing "radio") this morning -- adverbial phrase Turned on what? my GE radio Let's see what happens when the name of a city is turned into an adjective. 2. I loved flying into São Paulo. I - subject loved - verb flying – used as a noun here, object of "loved" - into -- preposition - São Paulo – object (proper noun) Loved what? loved flying Where? Into São Paulo (preposition + proper noun, don't need "the") 2A. I never visited the São Paulo seaside. I - subject visited - verb - never - adverb, describes the verb the seaside - direct object (article + noun) - São Paulo -- (used as an adjective here) Never visited what? the seaside (of São Paulo) (São Paulo is an adjective here, describing the noun "seaside") Let's try Tom's first example: I / am going/to /the beach/ tomorrow. Subject / verb / prep / noun / adverb Going where? To the beach I /am going/ to / Seaside Beach/tomorrow. Subject / verb / prep/ proper noun / adverb Going where? To Seaside Beach (here "Seaside Beach is the name of the beach, a "proper noun" not an adjective and, hence, not in need of the article "the") Does this make better sense -- when constructing (deconstructing) the sentence? I haven't "diagramed" a sentence in awhile (translate: over 20 years). Have you done this in your studies? Hope this helps, not confuses, Snow. Let us know if you want more examples. Maybe you could try to take apart (diagram) a few sentences and see where you might place articles/possessives when used before 1) adjectives and 2) nouns/proper nouns. Start with very simple sentences. Try the other examples from Tom. Try it with any sentence where you are not sure if you need to use "the" or not. Obviously, I cannot do a proper diagram on this site. Try a Google search (English sentence + diagram) to see how they are properly done. Then give us another post, Snow, and we'll see if you got it. :) :) :) Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Ana M  –  snow  31/MAI/2005, 3:14 PM
Re: to Ana M  –  Ana M  31/MAI/2005, 3:37 PM
Re: to Ana M  –  snow  31/MAI/2005, 4:43 PM
Re: to Ana M  –  Tom  01/JUN/2005, 10:40 AM
Re: to Ana M  –  Cris  01/JUN/2005, 11:46 AM
Re: to Tom  –  Cris  01/JUN/2005, 11:52 AM
Re: to Tom  –  Ana M  01/JUN/2005, 12:06 PM
Re: to Tom  –  Ana M  01/JUN/2005, 12:10 PM
 Re: to Ana M  –  Ana M  01/JUN/2005, 1:32 PM