[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  06/JUL/2005 2:05 PM
Assunto:  Home schooling

Mensagem:  Gostaria de saber como funciona o sistema de Home schooling nos Estados Unidos. -- Visite os links que estão em baixo. Há um controle do governo sobre este sistema? -- Sim, e como qualquer programa social dos estados com problemas de verba para fiscalizar os alunos é muito facil abusar o sistema. Como são feitas as avaliações? -- Depende do estado. Aqui temos provas escritas muito aparecido com o vestibular (conforme com o ano escolar, claro). Até que série pode se estudar neste sistema? -- Até o fim de High School. Os alunos conseguem se preparar para as provas das faculdades? -- Sim, e muitos tem resultados excelentes conforme com o individuo. Os alunos são aceitos pelas faculdades? -- Sim. Não tenho statisticas sobre isto. Por aqui muitos começam com Junior College e no segundo ou terceiro ano tentam transferir para uma universidade de quatro anos. Assim eles não tem que competir para uma vaga numa universidade de nivel alto. Here are some links to sites that will give you some pros and cons about home schooling: http://tx.essortment.com/homeschoolinfo_rfda.htm http://www.familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,58-28625,00.html http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/weblinks/whynot.htm ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Agora vou expressar meus sentimentos sobre o sistema de home schooling. In most states a child being home schooled is registered with the government and has to take exams to show progress for advancement. Parents buy books from companies that make a lot of money selling materials that may or may not provide a good education. It requires much discipline and it's easy for a student or family to fall behind in the work. Too many students study just to pass the exam. Sometimes the parents don’t want the student to know certain things. Therefore, they don’t teach or mention those things. When the student takes the exam given by the state the student will probably answer a question about that unmentioned or not-studied topic with a wrong answer. That’s okay with the parent. The student will get enough answers correct to pass the exam and will not have been taught or exposed to the “bad things” that might be taught in a public or private school. Sound like a far-fetched idea? Not really. Some kids are home schooled to keep them from learning about scientific theories that are counter to some religions (things like the theory of evolution or Darwinism). Being home-schooled keeps the kids from being bullied by other kids (I don’t think this helps the student learn to cope with real life. Confronting bullies gives a person the self esteem and confidence needed in the real world). If you are home schooled you get to pick and choose all of your friends you have and you never have to meet and deal with the new kid in the classroom. You don’t even have to meet students who are not in your own social or cultural group. Of course, being home schooled makes it hard to do some things like play in the band, play on a sports team, trade lunch sandwiches with other kids, talk about peer pressure or Brittany Spears, etc. You can talk with your brothers, sisters, Mom and Dad. To do those group activities the parents have to leave the home environment. Fortunately, some parents actually enroll their kids in a school for those activities. Or they use a place like the YMCA (ACM) or other social setting. I have met home-schooled teenagers who are very smart and have excellent social graces. I’ve also met some who are dumber than pack animals. Before I moved to Florida, I was teaching basic Spanish to people from a hospital. It was something I was doing as a volunteer to help the hospital emergency room staff work with Spanish speaking patients. The class was very small and everyone was doing well. Then I was asked if I would let three home-school students in the class. Their mother needed a piece of paper saying they had been tutored or had actually been in a class where they spoke and heard Spanish. Just doing book exercises at home did not meet the criteria for course credit. I didn’t want to say yes but I did. It was apparent in one hour that only one of the three was interested. One was not interested but would do some of the work. The third was what I’d call a “filinha do papai” and all she wanted to do was talk about the car she was going to get when she had her 16th birthday. She held back the whole class. After about four hours of class work she said it was just too hard. I explained that Hungarian is hard and that Spanish is fairly easy compared to Hungarian. She asked me, “What’s Hungarian?” Turns out she had never heard of Hungary, any Slovakian country, Honduras, Guatemala, Chile or a whole bunch of other countries. Having those girls in the class detracted so much from the learning atmosphere that the project failed. I have had a personal dislike for the system ever since. I’m biased and admit it. I think it works for people who live way out in the country…..Alaska, Montana, an island in the Pacific, etc. Even then, those students should go to a boarding school when they get to be around ten years old. Social awareness is sadly missing in the training of many home schooled people.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Home schooling  –  Carla  04/JUL/2005, 9:46 PM
 Home schooling  –  Tom  06/JUL/2005, 2:05 PM
Home schooling  –  Johannes  06/JUL/2005, 3:34 PM
Home schooling  –  Lin  06/JUL/2005, 4:34 PM
Home schooling  –  Johannes  06/JUL/2005, 6:07 PM
Home schooling  –  Carla  06/JUL/2005, 10:34 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K