Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/MAI/2003 8:41 AM
Assunto:  Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)

Mensagem:  Jose,

I agree, the majority of people in the world must work. How much they are compensated for it depends on their local economy.

Miguel, you are still in the grip of your young and idealistic fervor. But answer me this:

If every person in the USA automatically had a nearly equal piece of the "pie" (wealth), what would happen to the economy - day to day ordinary business?

I think you can imagine quite well what would happen. It would create a ridiculous and untenable situation for everyone. Money would quickly become worthless, the stored "wealth" would soon be exhausted, and the ordinary things that nobody was making would become hugely valuable. Quite soon things would be uneven again.

The reality is that the more wealth a society has, the more extreme the differences must be. Most people need a strong motivation to do the dull tasks that the economy requires.
There will always be a minority that lives on the excess.

My own goal is to be rich in disposable time. To do work I want to do when I want to. If one craves the trappings of "wealth" one will be distracted and never achieve such a goal. And the more people who do that, the less wealth there will be for the wealthy.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  03/MAI/2003, 5:24 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  04/MAI/2003, 9:51 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  04/MAI/2003, 1:35 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  05/MAI/2003, 8:21 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  05/MAI/2003, 12:09 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  05/MAI/2003, 2:02 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  05/MAI/2003, 4:50 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  06/MAI/2003, 7:53 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  07/MAI/2003, 2:21 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  José Roberto  07/MAI/2003, 3:07 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  07/MAI/2003, 7:54 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  José Roberto  07/MAI/2003, 8:41 PM
 Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  08/MAI/2003, 8:41 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  08/MAI/2003, 1:45 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  09/MAI/2003, 8:21 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  09/MAI/2003, 3:02 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  10/MAI/2003, 8:57 AM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  Miguel Vieira  10/MAI/2003, 1:24 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  12/MAI/2003, 6:15 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  José Roberto  12/MAI/2003, 9:48 PM
Re: African American Vernacular English (AAVE)  –  pat  13/MAI/2003, 8:16 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K