LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/JUL/2005 3:03 PM
Assunto:  Stative (nonprogressive) verbs

Mensagem: 

Hi Maria of a thousand days . . . :)

Is this what you are referring to?

I was wanting to write to you and tell you that it quite all right and becoming more and more common in mainstream English to be using this "ing" form of "to want" and "to think." In fact, I find myself saying "I am wanting to eat some ice cream" more often than "I want to eat some ice cream." Maybe, just when you think you are getting a grip on this crazy English language, it is wanting to change again . . . :) :) :)  This usage somehow puts your desires and thoughts into "realtime," the very here and the very now. [And herein, alas, my MS Word program is advising me of my grammatical error, my wanton misuse of this verb. . .:) :) :) ]

That said, be careful ESLers! I almost posted on another thread what happens when, with all good intentions, an ESLer (myself included) may purposely say something using incorrect or "iffy" grammar. Unfortunately, it is very hard for a non-native speaker to carry off an intended misuse or pun in another language. Unless the person you are speaking with or writing to knows that you know you are purposefully being incorrect or making a pun, they will think you do not know. So, while you might know what you're doing, unless the other person is also fully aware of your language skills, they will think you don't know the correct way of saying things.

So, yes, Maria, it seems to be becoming accepted and used more and more often. I would not use it in business correspondence or formal writing, however.

Hope this is what you were wanting to know . . . :)

Abraços, :) :) :)

Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
-ing ending  –  Maria Valeska  25/JUL/2005, 12:55 PM
Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  Elsa  25/JUL/2005, 1:02 PM
Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  Maria Valeska  25/JUL/2005, 1:51 PM
Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  Johannes  25/JUL/2005, 2:04 PM
 Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  Ana M  25/JUL/2005, 3:03 PM
Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  José Roberto  25/JUL/2005, 5:43 PM
Stative (nonprogressive) verbs  –  mick rob  25/JUL/2005, 6:18 PM