Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com
Data:  23/MAI/2003 9:08 PM
Assunto:  Re: Organization ou Organisation ??

Mensagem:  Caro Miguel By no means there is a more or less feasible pattern. In Portugual people write "Comummente", in Brazil "comumente", in Portugal "dezanove", in Brazil "dezenove", which way is more feasible? the native environment which one was born is going to determine this or the foreign learner opition/opportunity. And if you read the passage I posted, in Britain there are people who use -ize or -ise and the dictionaries point out -ize, although people prefer to use -ise. Another example: "colour", as far as I know just in the US they write "color", which is more feasible? As far as British English in EFL (I think that in Brazil the best term is EFL environment, in Nigeria or India one can it ESL) is concerned, at least here there is a overwhelming preference to American English, I've been noting my students, they don't change their American-style of pronunciation, even having classes with me for a certain time, and I can't see this dicotomy between "American" and "British", for these two patterns of English are very close if one compares to Luso and Tupiniquim Portuguese, and here there are some prescriptives who long for the Luso variant of Portuguese, forgetting that what rests of Luso Portuguese is no more used in Portugal, starting from the pronunciation, we still have a very syllabical way to pronounce words. And at least in Europe, Briton's English is still the default used in EFL classes. See you José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Fabiane  22/MAI/2003, 9:39 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Marcia  22/MAI/2003, 10:38 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  22/MAI/2003, 4:25 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  22/MAI/2003, 10:19 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  23/MAI/2003, 4:12 PM
 Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  23/MAI/2003, 9:08 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  24/MAI/2003, 1:53 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  24/MAI/2003, 5:49 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  pat  25/MAI/2003, 9:53 AM