Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  24/MAI/2003 5:49 PM
Assunto:  Re: Organization ou Organisation ??

Mensagem:  Caro Miguel I will answer your replies in topics, citing what you said and my point of view: You said: "Jose, by "feasible" I meant that it(-ize) is easier to pronounce and in a way easier to grasp linguistically as the "S" sound doesn't have the "Z" sound though it's made to sound like it." -ize and -ise bear the same pronunciation, and when it comes to English language this kind of argument you used is very fragile for English has a very poor relation between what's written and how one speaks, according to what you said, English had to pass through a very radical change in its spelling to grasp these differences. You said: "As for the Comummente/comumente ilustration, I think you actually proved my point. Which one is easier and more practical, Comummente or Comumente? I'd say the latter. What is the extra M for?" Comum+mente=gt; comummente The original word already finishes in "m" so the Luso prefers to maintain the orginal "m" of the word "comum", and tell me: "have"=gt; what's the "e" for? "doubt"=gt; what's the "b" for? Languages are not mathematics, they are what they are, if in Portugal they put this second "m", fine, that's the way Portuguese language works for them, for a Luso "comummente" is more feasible than "comumente" and it can be by a number of arguments even the one that "comumente" is too "Brazilian", so "comummente" is more feasible for this reason,and I am sure they quite understand it. Miguel what is easy for us can be difficult for others, that's why I think saying that in languages "-ize" is more feasible than "-ise" is useless, are Chinese "alphabet" more feasible than the Latin one for you? If one is looking for a logic or perfect language written/speech system, they'd better learn Interlingua or Esperanto. You said: "Lastly, you asked, what is more feasible Colour or Color. I'd say Color is. As you, yourself pointed recently, there is no pure "study" of language. It (langugage) envolves (reflects) all aspects of the country it represents. Now, what country in this world is as powerful and influential as the United States?" Again, I can guarantee that for a Briton he/she would answer that "colour" is better, there is no more or less feasible use in language, the group or individual will tell and sort what is the best way they are going to use a language/dialect. The US is influential and powerful that's very true, now, it DON'T mean that English is their invention or their exclusive use, there are Englishes in the world which can be used and "cambiados" quite well. and....lastly sounds too British, doesn't it? José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Fabiane  22/MAI/2003, 9:39 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Marcia  22/MAI/2003, 10:38 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  22/MAI/2003, 4:25 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  22/MAI/2003, 10:19 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  23/MAI/2003, 4:12 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  23/MAI/2003, 9:08 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  24/MAI/2003, 1:53 PM
 Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  24/MAI/2003, 5:49 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  pat  25/MAI/2003, 9:53 AM