Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  25/MAI/2003 3:00 PM
Assunto:  Re: Organization ou Organisation ??

Mensagem:  Meu Caro amigo Patrick You are right, it is to do with etymology, I just asked Miguel that question in order to make him think about the irregularities one can find in languages. Do you know that Portuguese is one of the language which most has been changing and updating its spelling? It's good on one hand because old accents like êle (he), aquêle (that), sòzinho (alone, coming from só=gt; alone, this case the accent"`" used to reflect the original accent of the word, another example is próprio=gt; pròpriamente : proper, properly), and these accents has been turned out in 1971, in order words, books from 1969 for instance can be considered 'arcaic' in ortography aspects but we do not need to worry so much about it, on the other hand... English maintains the spelling of 1600's~1700's , French 1700's , so that's very natural that the written patern has been losing correlation to the spoken language, but old documents can be read and analysed without much problem, look: in the beginning of the 20th. century one would write "Em Nictheroy elle poude estudar sciencias naturaes, chimica e physica" ,today one would write "Em Niterói ele pôde estudar ciências naturais, química e física" (In Niterói- a city in the state of Rio de Janeiro- he could study Natural Sciences, chemistry and physics" as you can see we have a gap of 100 years and the spelling belongs to the same language, Portuguese! Lots of old books have to be updated to nowadays spelling. About the "e" in English, I know, according to Saussire, that now it changes another vowel sounds in some words like "mad" [méad] and made [meid] the letter "e" changes the sound of the letter "a", kindda strange, isn't it? About the Bishop, it's not a book, it's a passage I found on-line called "Mistakes, Fallacies and Irresponsabilities of Prescreptive Grammar" by Scott E. Kapel, I've printed it and I think it very interesting, you can find it at: http://www.newdream.net/~scully/toelw/Lowth.htm Bishop Robert Lowth has published in 1762 a book, a short introduction to English Grammar, I think now that you have the entire name of the Bishop you can find somethin about him or something he had written. Pat, when you say that "we pay litte attention to the small differences in spelling between British and American English", you really mean that people don't care about one using "British deafault" or vice-versa? And when British came in American their speaking default, intonation and etc, was like nowadays American's? Because when Cabral came here his way of speaking was very close to nowadays Brazilian default, mainly the sertão areas (interior of Bahia and other Northestearn States). Por favor, me responda (Please, reply) Até a próxima José PS: Haver, have, habban, avoir, haver, habben etc appear pratically in all indo-european verbs, so this verb, I think, is one which survived from the original Indo-European language, even older than the verb "be".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Fabiane  22/MAI/2003, 9:39 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Marcia  22/MAI/2003, 10:38 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  22/MAI/2003, 4:25 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  22/MAI/2003, 10:19 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  23/MAI/2003, 4:12 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  23/MAI/2003, 9:08 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  24/MAI/2003, 1:53 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  24/MAI/2003, 5:49 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  pat  25/MAI/2003, 9:53 AM