Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  26/MAI/2003 3:16 PM
Assunto:  Re: Organization ou Organisation ??

Mensagem:  Olá Pat Eu é quem tenho que lhe agradecer pela resposta interessante. Why, you may think. Well, because I note that foreign learners of English (at least I am talking about Brazilian learners, the only case I know) pay too much attention on what is "British" or "American" creating a useless dicotomy in my opinion. Some language schools here claim that "we teach American English" or "British English" and forget that the main objective is teaching English, of course following a pattern, but not a pattern that sometimes seems that people are learning two differents languages...you've shown me (implied) that learning English involves more than a simplistic dicotomy of both variants of English. We (Brazilians) forget that Great-Britain and the US have always had relations and interactions and we (Brazil and Portugal) don't, blame on us, for Portugal consumes much more Brazilian products (mainly TV) than the inverted process. "Telefónica" if you look its symbol you are goint to figure it out that the "'" accent is stylistic, it seems a wave over the "o" which comes from the final "a" towards the letter "o" and it has the acute accent because it's Spanish and in Castellano they do not use the circumflex (^) accent for they do not have different sounds for "o" (here we have the open o- something like in "hot" and the close o- something like "over"). By the way, Brazilians in their day-by-day conversation call the circumflex as "acento chapeuzinho" -Little hat accent - for it resembles a hat :) On the speelling issue, as you can see, English speakers prefer to maintain the etymology of the words, we have lost it, another examples -gt; theatro: teatro (theatre), pharmacia-gt; farmácia (pharmacy), the "ph" has been changed into "f" in all Portuguese weords. Yes, the final "al" sounds was almost the same as in English, now we pratically do not pronounce the "l" sound, we do it as a "w" like in "interview", as far as I know in Portugal the final "le" matches with its English counterpart (André Costa or Miguel can confirm or correct it). About Luso and Tupiniquim (from Tupi, the major Indian group who lived here before the Portuguese came, most people take this word as an offence or depreciative, I think particularly not) speakers, I can say that we have to have sometime to figure it out whether it's a Portuguese or an African speaking, by no means one who knows some Portuguese can hinder Brazilian or Luso accents. "Albion's seed"=gt; If I had money.... :) Até mais meu amigo José Roberto PS: If I come across more old Portuguese words which matches or draw near English I'll show you.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Fabiane  22/MAI/2003, 9:39 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Marcia  22/MAI/2003, 10:38 AM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  22/MAI/2003, 4:25 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  22/MAI/2003, 10:19 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  23/MAI/2003, 4:12 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  23/MAI/2003, 9:08 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  Miguel Vieira  24/MAI/2003, 1:53 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  José Roberto  24/MAI/2003, 5:49 PM
Re: Organization ou Organisation ??  –  pat  25/MAI/2003, 9:53 AM