[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Mauricio
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  27/MAI/2003 1:56 AM
Assunto:  Re: Expressões em inglês

Mensagem:  Hello there! The following expressions are very commom in daily conversation. I’m going to send the rest later, OK? All the best! Mauricio IRISH BLESSING "May the road rise to ye May the rain always fall softly upon your fields May the wind always blow at your back and before we meet again May God hold ye on the palm of his hand." A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush – a proverb saying that something you already have is better than something you might get. You know, I was looking for a new job for a very long time, and now two jobs appear at the same time! But I'll keep the one that came first. You know, like people say “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. a close call – a situation in which something bad almost happened A car almost hit me this morning! It’s was really a close call! about to – on the point of doing something I was about to take a shower when the telephone rang. Actions speak louder than words – a proverb saying that it’s better to do something about a problem than just talk about it. When Susan started complaining about everything, Robert just coldly said “Actions speak louder than words”. act high-and-mighty – act proud and powerful; act haughtily I definitely can’t stand Mathew! He’s always acting high-and-mighty toward everyone! act out – perform in or as if in a play; realize in action That day was horrible! In the end, the bandits started acting out their dirty plans. act up – misbehave What’s wrong with Michael? He’s been acting up all day long! agree with someone about something or someone – hold the same opinion as someone else about someone or something I spoke out my opinions to the group. But unfortunately, they didn’t agree with me. agree with something or someone – look good or go well with something or someone else A - I don’t think this hairdo agrees with you! B - Now I think you got changed very well, your dress really agrees with your shoes. all along – all the time I knew all along that your brother wasn’t telling us the whole story! all of a sudden – something happening quickly, without advance warning Today the weather was so fine, but all of a sudden it became cloudy and started raining. apply for – solicit; be a candidate for Mary has been applying for a lot of jobs, but it’s been no use until now. as a matter of fact – actually; in fact As a matter of fact, I think the politicians could do more about the poor. as long as – because something else is happening at the same time; since As long as you’re going to the drugstore you could buy me some aspirins. as plain as the nose on your face – obvious I can’t believe you don’t know why Sara is so angry at you! It’s as plain as the nose on your face! as usual – as commonly or habitually happens As usual, I slept late last Saturday morning. at all – used to emphasize a negative expression I watched that film on TV, but I didn’t like it at all. at least – according to the lowest possible assessment; not less than Some people don’t believe in flying saucers, but I think this subject is at least worth debating. at long last – after a lengthy or troublesome wait or delay That was a hard weather indeed, and at long last the winter was over. at most – at the maximum Shirley is ready for that exam, she didn’t study. I’m sure she’s gonna get only B or C at most! at once – immediately; instantly It’s getting late, if you want to go out, you should go at once. at the end of one’s rope – be at the limit of one’s patience I’m already at the end of my rope for trying to persuade John to apply for a job. at the ready – available for immediate use During that terrible war, the soldiers were always with their guns at the ready to fire. at the top of one’s lungs – as loudly as one can Though Carol shouted at the top of her lungs to get Richard’s attention, it was useless, he kept his way home anyway. at (the) worst – under the most negative circumstances, estimation or interpretation At worst, the storm will make us postpone the trip. at will – just as or when one wishes Don’t worry, eat the cookies at will! There’s enough for every one! B be a turn on – be sexually exciting Don’t you think that girl is really a turn on? be all ears – be acutely attentive Ok if you want to tell me what happened, I’m all ears. be at the end of one’s ropes – be at the limit of one’s patience I’ve been trying to talk Mariah into studying more. It was useless and I’m already at the end of my ropes! be broke – be without money I’d really like to buy that digital camera, but I’m broke. be fed up (with someone or something) – be unable or unwilling to put up with someone or something any longer The manager of that company was fed up with their complaints, so she fired them all. be hard on something – treat roughly, use roughly My little brother is always hard on his shoes. Look at this pair, they were new a month ago! be history – (1) leave. (2) no longer exist (in a location, in one’s estimation, in life) It’s already 11:00! I’m history! I have to be at school at 11:30! You wrecked your brother’s car? You’re history! He’s gonna get you killed! be hung over – be suffering from unpleasant physical effects following the heavy use of alcohol One of the worst things in drinking a lot is that you’ll be undoubtedly hung over the morning after. be in good spirits – be in a particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor an animation It seems that Ellen is in good spirits today, she’s doing her job so lively. be off – be leaving; be departing Hey, guys, sorry but I’m off! I’ll have to wake up very early tomorrow! be short of something – lack something If I weren’t so short of money I’d go the movies with you! be ticked off – be angry George seems really ticked off this morning. He must have had a bad night. Note: A very common synonym is “To be pissed off” which is sometimes considered a vulgar expression. be to blame – be responsible for something bad or unfortunate Don't punish John for breaking the plates. He’s not to blame! be up to one’s ear – have many things to do; be overloaded I’d like to go to Jane’s party, but unfortunately I can’t. I’m up to my ears in work right now be up to something – do something one shouldn’t do Sara’s been smiling to herself all morning, I think she’s up to something, but I don’t know what it is. be/get on one’s high horse – become disdainful, superior or conceited in attitude toward someone else Tom loves to give high parties, but he always gets on his high horse when someone criticizes his parties. be way off base – be absolutely incorrect; be completely wrong I can’t believe you think that Jane will apologize for her remarks. You’re way off base. beat/flog a dead horse – continue pursuing a cause that has no hope of success It’s no use talking about this subject. We’re just beating a dead horse! beat around the bush – hesitate in speech John is always beating around the bush when his mother asks him whether he was cutting classes. beat one’s brain out – exert or expand great mental effort Anthony beat his brains out during the examinations. behind someone’s back – do something secretly and in a malicious manner A – I’m surprised! I’ve known that Robert is talking about me behind my back! B – You told me you would help me win that girl, but you went behind my back! bend over backwards – make an extremely great effort to get something The teacher seems be crazy! He asked us to get feathers of 20 different bird species for the biology class, I had to bend over backwards to get it! bend someone’s ear – talk to someone incessantly Robert is a good guy, but when I meet him he's starts bending my ear for hours. better late than never – it’s better that something happens late than never Hey carol, I thought you wouldn’t come! Ok! Better late than never! big deal – (1) something of great importance or consequence. (2) (used as an exclamation of indifference) What’s the big deal if you don’t sign up for the competition? Big deal if she’s capable of speaking five languages, I really don’t care! birds of a feather flock together – a proverb meaning that people of the same kind seem to attract one another Loraine’s been hanging out with some really strange people. But like they say “birds of a feather flock together”. bite off more than one can chew – decide or agree to do more what one can finally accomplish Betty’s been really tired, I think she’s biting off more than she can chew for working so much. blank out on something – forget something suddenly I hate when I blank out on someone’s name, especially my friends’ names. blow one’s top/stack – loose one’s temper Jack blew his top when his girlfriend didn’t want to go to the movies with him. blow something (all) out of proportion – exaggerate I think you shouldn’t believe everything Julie says. She tends to blow everything all out of proportion! brand new – said of something being in a fresh and unused condition; completely new Man, if I won the lottery, the first thing I would do is to buy a brand new car and hit the road! break a leg! – Good luck! (a way of wishing someone good luck for believing that saying “good luck” could be a jinx ) I heard you will make a speech today, before 1.000 people. So, Break a leg! break down – (1) surrender to demands or emotions. (2) stop working Elizabeth is a very emotive person. She’s always breaking down and crying. My car’s just broken down again. I just can’t stand it any longer! break into – invade When we got into our apartment last night, we realized that someone had broken into it. Then, we called the police. break out in a cold sweat – start perspiring suddenly because of a great fear That night was really terrible! I broke out in a cold sweat when I heard steps in the kitchen. break the news to someone – disclose sensitive and emotional information to someone Last Saturday I ruined my father’s car. And I’ll have to break the news to him sooner or later. break up with someone – end a romantic relationship with someone; ditch Alice and Tom made a nice couple. But unexplainably Alice broke up with Tom some weeks ago. bring out – publish or produce I’ve been working on a book for years. Fortunately, I think I’ll be able to bring it out next week. bring up – introduce into discussion I know you’re kind of upset about what happened. But that’s not a good time bring it up. brush up on something – review something in order to make it fresh again in one’s mind I’m going to give a speech tomorrow. So I’d better brush up on my notes. bug off – get out C’mon! Bug off! Get outta my way! burn the midnight oil – work or study very late at night Steve is going to France next month, but his French is not that good, since he’s a very busy person he’s been burning the midnight oil to improve it. by chance – without any plan, accidentally Ellen and Robert met by chance on a plane and got married some weeks ago. by heart – by memorizing My cousin Loraine has quite a good memory, she knows a lot of phone numbers by heart. C call in – summon for assistance or consultation; require someone’s presence The police were called in to stop the violent riots. call in sick – telephone and inform those who are in charge at work that one is sick and cannot come Where is Jennifer? She knows we have a meeting this morning! Did she call in sick again? call on someone – visit someone Catherine’s friends call on her every weekend. call someone down – reprimand someone The English teacher called the pupils down for mispronouncing the words. call something off – cancel; postpone This morning I felt like taking a walk, But I had to call it off because of the heavy rain. calm down – become calm; relax Cindy was very nervous, then, I asked her to calm down. calm someone or something down – cause someone or something to be calm Elizabeth was very angry at her brother, then I tried to calm her down. carry out – put into practice or effect; execute Some employees were fired ‘cause they didn’t want to carry out their functions. catch one’s breath – rest so as to be able to continue an activity; rest for a moment John and Larry ran a lot to take the bus, when they finally reached it, they had to stop and catch their breath. change one’s mind – reverse a previously held opinion or an earlier decision I was happy to know that Alice would come to the party with us, but unfortunately she’s changed her mind. check someone or something off – to mark or cross out the name of a person or thing on a list When I was at the supermarket, I started checking some items off as I was buying them. cheer someone up – make a sad person happy (also includes oneself ) A - When I last saw Mary, she was so unhappy, then I tried to cheer her up. B –Usually, I can sheer myself up on days like this, but not today. cheer up – become happy Sheer up! Everything will be alright! clean up one’s act – improve one’s behavior or performance I really didn’t like the way you behaved last night. I think you should clean up your acts! cool it! – calm down hey, cool it! I’m sure that everything will be alright! come clean with someone – be honest with someone ( and confess the truth ) Come clean with me. Did you see who has stolen my bicycle? come into one’s mind to do something – decide to do something suddenly (without any advance warning ) I was at the party with Sara; but suddenly it came into her mind to go away and she really did it. come up with – suggest; propose When the teacher asked the pupils what a Burgage was, only one student could come up with the right answer. cost an arm and a leg – have an excessively high price It cost me an arm and lag to buy a new car. cry over spilt milk – regret in vain what cannot be undone or rectified You should be more responsible for your deeds, now it’s no use crying over spilt milk. cut corners – economize My father always tried to teach us how to cut corners. cut down on something or doing something – reduce the amount of something or doing something My uncle is having health problems. He told me that he would cut down on smoking. But I think he should stop smoking forever. D dash off – leave, go away hurriedly Well, guys, the talk is good, but I’ve gotta dash off right away. die out – vanish; disappear from earth The “dodos” were ancient birds that died out since the late 17ht century. do away with something – throw something away; get rid of something I don’t think your father will like these dresses, you’d better do away with them. do one’s best – do the greatest effort that one can I always did my best to learn English. do one’s bit - make an individual contribution toward an overall effort Alice’s brothers always refuse doing their bit when she’s cleaning up the house. do someone good – be beneficial for someone I think you should go out and try to have some fun, it will do you good. do without – be without something; live without something If there’s no butter for our bread, we’ll do without. doll up - dress oneself smartly and often ostentatiously, especially for a special occasion We’re only going to a barbecue, there’s no reason for you to be all dolled up! doze off – fall asleep You shouldn’t watch television until late at night, you always doze off in front of it. dress up – wear formal or fancy clothes They dressed up and went to the cocktail. E eat one’s words – retract something that one has said Mathew insisted that a Phrasal Verb is not something common in a written text, but he had to eat his words when I showed him a lot of up-to-date magazines in English. eat out of someone’s hand – be manipulated or dominated by someone I don’t think Jane would be capable of dumping her boyfriend, she eats out of his hand! end up doing something – have to do something one has tried to get out of doing I didn’t want to go on that trip with them, but they insisted so much that I ended up going anyway. every now and then – occasionally; from time to time Every now and then I like to take a walk downtown. every other – alternate Charles is a very busy person, so he studies English every other day, not every day. F face the music – confront and uncomfortable situation; accept the consequences of one’s own actions. You shouldn’t have given that high party when your parents were out. Now you’ll have to face the music. face to face – in each other’s presence; in direct communication Those were really bad moments. We were face to face with death during the earthquake. fair shake – a fair chance When I was selected for the job interview they only spent three minutes with me! I really wasn’t given a fair shake! fall in love (with someone or something) – become enamored ( of someone or something ) Jessica fell in love with Bart .When they fell in love they though it would last forever. feel like doing something – have the inclination or desire to something Mary really feels like going to the United States. She has a lot of friends living there. feel like oneself – sense oneself as being in one’s normal state of health or spirits I think there’s something wrong with me. I just don’t feel like myself today. feel up to something or doing something – be able ( health or ability ) to do something; feel like doing something A - I should go along with my parents on that travel, but I really don’t feel up to it now! B - Do you feel up to playing cards with me now? figure out – discover; decide I think you should figure out what you’ll need before travelling abroad. fill in – write on the blank spaces on a paper Please, fill in this form while I check your papers. find out – discover; identify Please, try to find out your name on this list. fish for a compliment – try to get a compliment; talk as if trying to get a compliment Silvia was showing me her paintings and talked about them for an entire hour, she sure was fishing for a compliment! fit in – be in harmony; agree I did everything I could, but that new student isn’t really fitting in with the class flip out – become crazy; go crazy Sandra was always a very good person, but suddenly, she flipped out and became a serial killer. fool around – spend some time idly Larry’s father is really furious! He says Larry does nothing but fooling around and getting home too late at night. for a change – a sarcastic way of saying that something happens the same way that has already happened; as usual A – For a change, John came to class late again! B – That’s the fourth time in the week that I see Jack completely drunk! Yes, for a change! for free – without charge; without the due merit

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Expressões em inglês  –  solange patricio  26/MAI/2003, 2:50 PM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  André Oliveira  26/MAI/2003, 4:47 PM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  André Costa  26/MAI/2003, 6:06 PM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  André Oliveira  27/MAI/2003, 11:23 AM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  Gustavo  20/JUN/2003, 9:52 AM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  Anita  04/JAN/2005, 10:47 AM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  Sanderson-goiania  11/DEZ/2006, 12:39 AM
 Re: Expressões em inglês  –  Mauricio  27/MAI/2003, 1:56 AM
Re: Expressões em inglês  –  Ronaldo Cardoso  27/MAI/2003, 9:42 PM