ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/SET/2005 7:28 PM
Assunto:  Pastel/palmito

Mensagem: 

True, "turnover" is used in English.  At least in California, however, "empanada" is widely accepted.  If heard Argentines call their empanadas "meat pies".  What a joke.  The meat pies I know look and taste nothing like an empanada. 

I've heard and seen the expression "rice water" in California.  It took me a while to realize they were talking about "horchata" (also written "orchata"), a very common Latin drink made from rice flour, water, sugar, etc.  Calling horchata "rice water" makes as much sense to me as calling a hotdog a "cachorro quente".  In an Argentine restaurant I asked if they had any sauce for the empanadas.  I got (in English) a long detailed description of a sauce, more of a recipe or list of secret ingedients than a description.  I asked the waiter if he was talking about "chimichurri".  He was.  Why didn't he say so in the first place?

Oh, I had a "dogão" today in Canela.  Not bad.  It was certainly not the same as an American hotdog, but so what?  Who says it has to be?  It was good.  Supposedly the meat was calabreza.  I doubt it.  It didn't taste like any calabreza I'd ever eaten.  It came with shoestring fries, corn, peas, and some kind of weird sauce.  I noticed that there weren't any mutts in the park around the dogão vendor's truck.  A mere coincidence?  Hmmmm.....

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pastel/palmito  –  dri  08/SET/2005, 3:26 PM
Pastel/palmito  –  Fabio  08/SET/2005, 4:02 PM
Pastel/palmito  –  Tom  08/SET/2005, 5:45 PM
Pastel/palmito  –  Tiago  08/SET/2005, 6:19 PM
Pastel/palmito  –  Fabio  08/SET/2005, 6:54 PM
 Pastel/palmito  –  Dale/RS  08/SET/2005, 7:28 PM
Pastel/palmito  –  cristiane pereira  25/JAN/2006, 11:19 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K