ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  10/SET/2005 10:44 AM
Assunto:  Songs for kids

Mensagem: 

I don't know if you can find it in Brazil, but in the US there is a series of songs for kids called "Wee Sing".  (wee = small)  I sent several sets to Brazil, and the teachers loved them.  The advantages of using CDs are obvious:  you have the correct pronunciation of the words, you have the music, etc.

If the kids are very small, I'd concentrate on folk songs, especially songs with body language.  A good example is "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain".  As they sing, the kids use their hands, arms, and legs to make gestures that accompany the lyrics.  "The Grand Old Duke of York" is another great song for little kids.  The Boy Scouts of America, by the way, has a very nice songbook.  It has a songbook for Cub Scouts (lobinhos) and another for Scouts (escoteiros).

I tried teaching American folk songs to older kids (colégio) in Minas Gerais a few years ago.  It was terrible.  They didn't want folk songs, they wanted rock and roll.  My mistake was to teach what I was interested in without considering their interests.  On the other hand, many years ago I visited an English class at the "Heróica Escuela Naval" just outside Veracruz, Mexico.  A friend and I taught American folk songs with great success, and some cades taught us some local songs.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Songs for kids  –  Juliana  10/SET/2005, 10:16 AM
 Songs for kids  –  Dale/RS  10/SET/2005, 10:44 AM
Songs for kids  –  Marco  11/SET/2005, 7:26 PM
Songs for kids  –  Sandra  10/SET/2005, 7:05 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K