ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/SET/2005 11:24 AM
Assunto:  Tom/Address

Mensagem: 

I think you have a point, Tom.  My problem is that I've never lived in an apartment in which the heat was controlled by a janitor.  I don't have your perspective.  In my last place, I had a fireplace, two gas heater (one was in a wall and heated the living room and a bedroom, the other heated the second bedroom), and several electric heaters.  In winter I used everything.  Was the house cold?  No, not really.  It was insulated.  It was also easy to seal off a room that was being heated.  I spent most of my time in the bedroom I had set up as an office.  Snow could be outside, but I was as warm as toast.  When I was going to spend time in the living room or the main bedroom, I could close a door, heat the room, and be warm there.

Houses here in Rio Grande do Sul do not seem to be built for the cold.  This house has a fireplace, but the house is so big that a fireplace isn't of much help unless you're sitting in it with firewood under both arms.  I have some electric heaters, but electricity is very expensive in Brazil.  As I type this, I'm wearing a jacket and a watch cap.  Last night I watched a video in the bedroom.  I had an electric heater on, and I was wearing a jacket while snuggled under a blanket.  Where are those sunny beaches and palm trees that I saw in that travel brochure you sent to me??? 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Address  –  Márcio  11/SET/2005, 5:28 PM
Address  –  Dale/RS  11/SET/2005, 6:39 PM
Address  –  Wauber  11/SET/2005, 6:45 PM
Address  –  Dale/RS  11/SET/2005, 6:55 PM
Address  –  Tom  11/SET/2005, 8:23 PM
 Tom/Address  –  Dale/RS  12/SET/2005, 11:24 AM
Tom/Address  –  Fabio  12/SET/2005, 11:31 AM
Fabio/Address  –  Dale/RS  12/SET/2005, 3:50 PM
Fabio/Address  –  Tom  12/SET/2005, 6:36 PM