[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/MAI/2003 5:11 PM
Assunto:  Re: Portuguese is not crappy

Mensagem:  Dude, you must've been really offended by my last posting. No hard feelings, though. You see, Jose, Mr. Camocho came out really presumptuos. In a way, I wanted to belittle his language(Portuguese). I didn't want to belittle his language because I thought he was Brazilian. If I had known, I wouldn't've done it. I actually like Brazilians. I assumed he was from Portugal. You see, my country was a colony of Portugal not too long ago. Portugal did nothing but brutalize my country for almost 500years. Now, considering that I lean towards Marxism, as you pointed, it would be needless to say that I am not attached to Portugal or its language. Nevertheless, by belittling its language a little, I guess it lessens the resentment a bit. It's a pychological gratification I am however, critical of this negative thought pattern. I do realize it, I really do. I can assure you I will work on it. [Read the foolowing carefully] Becoming fluent in English was almost like being set free from Portugal for me. You see, in the Palop(Paises Africanos de Lingua official Portuguesa) world, Portugal is THE top country. Even the most radical activists in the Palop world have to resort to the slave master's language-Portuguese. They really resent this fact. Virtually all of them wish they could master the English Language, so in a way they can linguistically be set "Free". Anything that involves the former colonialists is in a way "bad". Thus, adopting a separate medium, even if it's from another imperialist, becomes very atractive. -Miguel Vieira P.S. To me the portuguese spoken in Brazil will always be Brazilians-Portuguese. In my mind, it's never just "Portuguese".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  28/MAI/2003, 1:14 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Rodolfo  28/MAI/2003, 9:37 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  09/MAI/2004, 1:38 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Santos  28/MAI/2003, 11:17 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  José Roberto  28/MAI/2003, 1:52 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  31/MAI/2003, 3:08 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Lucas  31/MAI/2003, 6:20 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Miguel Vieira  29/MAI/2003, 4:55 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  José Roberto  29/MAI/2003, 11:28 PM