[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambo@merconet.com.br
Data:  30/MAI/2003 10:51 PM
Assunto:  Re: Portuguese is not crappy

Mensagem:  Caro Miguel Wow, now I really got what you mean, now I really understand your feelings towards Portugal and I can tell you that they did things here too. You see, our independence process was nothing but a present from father to son (D. João left Brazil and left his son, D. Pedro to be the emperor. Did you know that during the 18/19th century we were step-by-step with the US? What happened? Maybe (it's diffcult to talk about what would have happened because History is History) but maybe if Brazil had emerged as a Republic like the US (indeed mainly that time a model to be followed) we would now be in a better situation, for sure it's verily our fault too. And in the end Dom Pedro left Brazil to take Portugal's kingdom, nice isn't? About shifting language because oppression motifs,, well I've heard that the people who speak French in Africa is dimininshing, because they are adopting English (that meets entirely with your point of view about the English language) maybe this is a constant to the Portuguese-speaking Africa (Mozambique belongs to the Commomwealth, doesn't it?). And I understood your point of view on that passage, I do agree with you. Man, I am really sorry if I offended you, now I know what Portuguese represents to you and I will be aware next time, now I know why you cought in English so hard, in your case English set you free, well I'd be very hypocrite if I said that English hasn't set me free, I can communicate with practically all the world with it, for sure I do love English very much. I wonder if English-speaking Africa doesn't see "British" English this way...Brazil and US are the countries which most "perverted" the colonial tongues, and here in Brazil there are people who still say that we "don't know Portuguese, just the Luso people know good Portuguese", that is very idiot, mainly when a Brazilian says this bullshit. Miguel, I found Camacho Brazilian for the way he wrote his message, it's typical Brazilian Portuguese. I've made some comments, please reply. José Roberto P.S. in your PS you posted: "To me the Portuguese spoken in Brazil will always be Brazilian Portuguese. In my mind, it's never just "Portuguese"." I say that you are right, Brazilian-Portuguese, American-Portuguese, Tupiniquim-Portuguese (there are many Indian and African words in our tongue), sometimes I use "Portuguese" when I want to be short or to indicate the union.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  28/MAI/2003, 1:14 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Rodolfo  28/MAI/2003, 9:37 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  09/MAI/2004, 1:38 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Santos  28/MAI/2003, 11:17 AM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  José Roberto  28/MAI/2003, 1:52 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Camacho  31/MAI/2003, 3:08 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Lucas  31/MAI/2003, 6:20 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  Miguel Vieira  29/MAI/2003, 4:55 PM
Re: Portuguese is not crappy  –  José Roberto  29/MAI/2003, 11:28 PM