Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/SET/2005 3:40 PM
Assunto:  Rappel/abseiling

As I recall, both terms are used in the USA but with a difference in meaning.  I may be wrong, but... I think that in the USA "to rappel" gives control to the climber but "to abseil" gives control to a person below him.  In other words, in rappeling one end of the rope is fixed to a point above the climber (certainly to a caribiner - a steel ring that can be opened and closed and has a locking device) and the climber is able to control how fast he goes down.  In abseiling, however, one end of the rope is affixed to the climber's harness, goes above him to a caribiner , and then back  to the ground where a second person uses his body as a brake to slow down the descent of the climber.  This general method is used to ascend and descend.  Or do I have the meanings crossed? 


I haven't been involved in this sport for years.  I believe, however, a difference exists.  (The fact that I can't remember is a good reason for me to stay home where I can't get hurt.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

 English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Rapel  –  gil  26/SET/2005, 11:00 AM
Rapel  –  Rodolfo  26/SET/2005, 11:53 AM
Rapel  –  Gus  26/SET/2005, 12:24 PM
 Rappel/abseiling  –  Dale/RS  26/SET/2005, 3:40 PM
Rappel/abseiling  –  breno  27/SET/2005, 1:13 AM
Rappel/abseiling  –  Dale/.RS  27/SET/2005, 12:06 PM
Rappel/abseiling  –  Breno  29/SET/2005, 12:35 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K