ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/SET/2005 4:08 AM
Assunto:  Hinos

Mensagem: 

The United States has a national anthem called "The Star Spangled Banner".  It is the description of a battle during the War of 1812.  Written as a poem by an American physician being held by the British Navy, it was later set to music.  As a poem, it's difficult to understand.  The lyrics jump from subject to subject.  As a song, it's difficult to sing.  Few people have a voice of reaching all the notes well.  The music, by the way, comes from a British drinking song popular at the time. 

Do you want to win some money?  Bet an American that he doesn't know the lyrics.  Very few Americans can sing it without making horrible mistakes.  When I have to sing it, I listen to those around me and try to sing what they sing.        

This is a joke: 

Q:  What are the last two words in "The Star Spangled Banner"?

A:  "Play ball!"

The song is traditional at baseball games.  As soon as the last words are sung, "Play ball!" is shouted.

The Australians have a nice national anthem, but they should have stuck with "Waltzing Matilda."  The Canadians have a nice anthem, but I've heard them criticize it.  The Brits sing, I believe, "God Save the Queen."  I'm not sure if they call it an anthem, but it's an impressive patriotic song.

I was very surprised to hear state anthems in Brazil.  In the USA there are "state songs", but they are rarely heard officially.  "Georgia", a song made famous by Ray Charles, is the state song of Georgia.  (Georgia is also the name of a woman.)  If you saw the film "Ray", you heard the song.  In California the state song is "California, Here I Come."  I've never heard it sung officially.  In fact, I haven't heard the song at all in probably twenty years.  I assume it was written around 1930.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Hinos  –  asdfih  28/SET/2005, 8:33 PM
 Hinos  –  Dale/RS  29/SET/2005, 4:08 AM
Hinos  –  André Oliveira  29/SET/2005, 5:12 PM
Hinos  –  Tom  29/SET/2005, 9:09 AM
Hinos  –  asdfih  29/SET/2005, 12:43 PM
Hinos  –  Dale/RS  29/SET/2005, 11:06 PM
Hinos  –  André Oliveira  30/SET/2005, 7:56 AM
Hinos - correction  –  André Oliveira  30/SET/2005, 9:58 AM
Hinos  –  asdfih  30/SET/2005, 12:34 PM