[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tiago
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/SET/2005 8:55 AM
Assunto:  Get Across

Mensagem:  I understand, Dale. I meant that the last sentence is wrong if you are trying to use the separabal phrasal verb get across, meaning "to succeed in communicating something". If that is the idea you wanted (as the context indicates), then the sentence is wrong, or at least it does not make sense in that particular case. If you decide not to follow the separable phrasal verb rules, then your sentence may change its meaning (or even mean nothing at all!). In the example, once you decide to place the pronoun it after the phrasal verb get across, one may imply that you are using an inseparable phrasal verb (also called prepositional verb), which usually has a more literal meaning, as you mentioned. When I said that the last sentence was wrong, I meant that this was the alternative that should be chosen in the multiple choice question, as the context indicates that the separable phrasal verb get across is supposed to be used. For more details about this grammar topic, check the link below:

http://www.sk.com.br/sk-twow.html

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Get Across  –  Jeferson  28/SET/2005, 12:10 AM
Get Across  –  mrob  28/SET/2005, 1:07 AM
Get Across  –  Dale/.RS  28/SET/2005, 3:20 PM
Mãeieeeeeeeeeee????  –  Johannes  28/SET/2005, 4:45 PM
Mãeieeeeeeeeeee????  –  Dale/RS  28/SET/2005, 5:28 PM
Get Across  –  Tiago  28/SET/2005, 10:50 PM
Get Across  –  Dale/RS  29/SET/2005, 3:49 AM
 Get Across  –  Tiago  29/SET/2005, 8:55 AM