Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/SET/2005 7:11 PM
Assunto:  Vocabulary

Mensagem: 

morning shift = first shift = day shift = days

afternoon shift = second shift = swing shift = afternoons

night shift = third shift = graveyard shift = nights

The terms and hours seem to change from place of employment to place of employment.  I worked swing for a couple years, entering at 3:30 p.m. and getting off work at 12:15 a.m.  My dad worked graveyard for years, going in around 11:00 p.m. and getting out about 7:30 a.m.  The expression "watch" is often used by police officers (first watch, second watch, and third watch).

You will also hear expressions like "80/9", meaning that in nine days you work a total of 80 hours. 

(Five days of nine hours, a weekend off, three days of nine hours, one day of eight hours.)

"4/10" is another expression, meaning that weekly you work four ten-hour days.  In some hospitals in the USA, nurses work three 12 hour shifts per week, but they are paid for 40 hours.  I knew guys that worked "56 hour weeks".  They were at isolated facilities that made going home regularly impractical, so they would work 16 hours, have eight off,  work 16 hours, have eight off, work eight hours, and go home for four days.  Or they could start with eight hours of work, have eight off,  work 16 hours, have eight off, work 16 hours, and go home.  They would sleep in barracks where they worked during their two periods of eight hours off.  They seemed to love the schedule.  

You'll note that despite the name, they were only working 40 hours per week.   

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Vocabulary  –  Ron  30/SET/2005, 3:39 PM
Vocabulary  –  orlando  30/SET/2005, 4:14 PM
 Vocabulary  –  Dale/RS  30/SET/2005, 7:11 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K