ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  07/OUT/2005 1:30 PM
Assunto:  Festa de peão / artesanal

Mensagem: 

I've never heard of a rodeo party or a cowboy party.  I bet Tom remembers the name of a type of party that was common years ago.  "Sadie Hopkins"?  Could be.  I think it was related to the "Lil Abner" comic strip.  As I recall, it imitated hillbillies (more or less "caipiras") from the American South.  One feature was that the women would invite the men to dance.

As a kid, I lived in the country in California and Arizona.  Square dances were common.  The square dance possibly comes from Irish folk dances.  The whole town would go to the dances, often held on the basketball courts of the local school.  There would be cakes and other prizes for the best dances, soft drinks in washtubs filled with ice, ice cream, etc.  While the adults danced, the kids would play hide-and-seek or kick-the-can.  We all had fun. 

Today in the USA square dance clubs are common, and many of the dancers are senior citizens.  The men and women wear matching outfits.  Contests with other clubs are common. 

Do you have "hayrides" in Brazil?  In the old days, hay would be placed on a large horse drawn wagon.  Young people would get on top of the hay, and the wagon would take them for a ride, often ending at a site for a picnic.  As time passed, trucks with open trailers replaced the wagons.  I went on a hayride when I was about 15.  It was a lot of fun, and I clearly remember a lot of pretty girls in the group.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Anônimo  06/OUT/2005, 9:05 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Tiago  06/OUT/2005, 9:39 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Dale/RS  06/OUT/2005, 11:47 PM
 Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Dale/RS  07/OUT/2005, 1:30 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Johannes  07/OUT/2005, 2:07 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Dale/RS  07/OUT/2005, 6:11 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Tom  07/OUT/2005, 7:17 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Me again  08/OUT/2005, 2:02 PM
Festa de peão / artesanal  –  Dale/RS  08/OUT/2005, 8:26 PM