[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/JUN/2003 8:40 AM
Assunto:  Re: The Ricardos of Brazil

Mensagem:  Caro Ricardo, If you speak English as naturally as you write it, then you are a living example of the good results of your method. When I read your posts here, they seem as if written by a native speaker of English. It is very impressive. You only lived one or two years immersed in native-speaking culture, as I recall? However, I think people like yourself represent a tiny minority at the top of the ability curve - having a very high aptitude to absorb a foreign language through the ears and eyes (reading). Something we haven't discussed here is that most people's ability to learn is concentrated in either audio or visual. In other words, some learn well through the ears - so they can understand the foriegn language spoken more easily than they can speak, read, or write it (in my experience, that seems to describe the majority). Others - like myself - are visual learners, so that reading and writing and "visualizing" the words is fairly easy, thusly speaking the foreign language comes quickly, but understanding it spoken (learning through the ears) is very difficult because there is no mental picture to attach to most of the sounds. For instance, when I say "qualquer pessoa", I "see" those letters in my head. But when I hear "kalkepasowah" a strange and mistaken image comes into my mind so of course I can't identify it. No doubt this is why you recommend that learners not be exposed to the written language until late in the process. It is particularily damaging to visual learners. Regards

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Miguel Vieira  04/JUN/2003, 7:22 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Ricardo - EMB -  04/JUN/2003, 11:10 PM
 Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  pat  05/JUN/2003, 8:40 AM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  José Roberto  05/JUN/2003, 9:53 AM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Jonas  05/JUN/2003, 12:35 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Miguel Vieira  05/JUN/2003, 3:46 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Jonas  05/JUN/2003, 4:43 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  pat  05/JUN/2003, 6:24 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Mirna de Campos  06/JUN/2003, 6:01 PM