ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/OUT/2005 12:32 PM
Assunto:  Raquel/curso de inglês, novamente

Mensagem: 

Raquel, it is unfortunate that you brought up that question in this forum.  After years of running a pawn shop in Argentina and a churrascaria somewhere in Rio Grande do Sul while becoming addicted to the "America" soap opera, Adolph has decided to learn English, head north, and open a combination pizzeria-Jewish delicatessen  in Hollywood.  Your indiscretion means, of course, that the boys from Odessa will be calling on you some time soon.  Measures must be taken.   

What kind of a fruitcake uses that kind of e-mail address?  Apparently the poor boy has a social calendar in such a whirl that he hasn't had time to read any history books since 1933.

Seriously, I applaud your alert eyes.  The "1889" is, of course, the year the Austrian corporal hatched.  Can you believe his hometown wanted to celebrate?  Idiots.

Years ago I dated a Viennese, Monika.  Dad had been in the Hitler Jugend.  Austrian kids didn't have any choice.  I enjoyed talking with the gentleman about his youth.  Gramps had been in the Sicherdienst.  Monika assured me that Gramps hadn't been in the Gestapo.  Actually, the Gestapo would probably be a step up from the SD, the counter-intelligence branch of the SS.  In occupied territories, the SD often targeted ethnic groups for extermination.  The old boy must have been quite a character, regardless of what he had done in Austria.  He was sanctioned for wearing a moustache.  His defense made sense:  "If our Fuhrer can wear one, so can I."  His superiors backed off, and he continued to wear a moustache.  Captured by the Russians at the end of the war, he worked so hard to help a Jewish doctor in a prison camp that he was rewarded with a very early release.  By 1947-1948, he was back in Austria.  Only a tiny fracton of SS prisoners in German hands survived captivity (1%?), and survivors continued to return to Austria and Germany for many years.  I don't know what Gramps had done before and during the war, but afterwards he must have really made a difference. 

Again, you have the eyes of an eagle!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Curso de inglês, novamente  –  silvio  16/OUT/2005, 10:53 AM
Curso de inglês, novamente  –  Raquel  16/OUT/2005, 11:57 AM
 Raquel/curso de inglês, novamente  –  Dale/RS  16/OUT/2005, 12:32 PM
Raquel/curso de inglês, novamente  –  Tom  16/OUT/2005, 1:11 PM
Raquel/curso de inglês, novamente  –  André Oliveira  17/OUT/2005, 4:46 PM
curso de inglês, novamente  –  jardele  23/OUT/2005, 2:45 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K