[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  05/JUN/2003 9:53 AM
Assunto:  Re: The Ricardos of Brazil

Mensagem:  Caríssimos I always see people claiming they know "tudo sobre gramática", now I know that it is a joke, but who say such a thing haven't realised it yet, because the more I study English grammar the more I know I know very little about it! What I always tell my students is English has a more synthetic grammar system than Portuguese, mainly when it comes to verbs conjugation, but by no means an "easier" grammar, only different (although lots of things match in both languages). Linguistits have been studying for a long time the process which takes place when one is learning their mother tongue or a second/third/foreign language and indeed they've known that languages are acquired by human interaction, not only reading a text written in the target language or drilling ad nauseam. The method I work with claims to lead students to fluence in English, in reality what I see is the old grammar-translation method with lots od words that one difficultly will use, structures and sentences like (it's 9 o'clock am) that we know that a this "am" will be uttered just in very special cases, it is not constant as the method implies it is. However in the very end, we still see chain schools and lots of teachers believing that by repeating like hell they will achieve fluence. Pat, like you I am very visual, I need the written word and training my ears requires lots of effort of me, when I say "have" these letter come to my mind H-A-V-E and specially this "e" which is not pronounced. Regards José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Miguel Vieira  04/JUN/2003, 7:22 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Ricardo - EMB -  04/JUN/2003, 11:10 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  pat  05/JUN/2003, 8:40 AM
 Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  José Roberto  05/JUN/2003, 9:53 AM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Jonas  05/JUN/2003, 12:35 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Miguel Vieira  05/JUN/2003, 3:46 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Jonas  05/JUN/2003, 4:43 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  pat  05/JUN/2003, 6:24 PM
Re: The Ricardos of Brazil  –  Mirna de Campos  06/JUN/2003, 6:01 PM