ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Jeferson
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/NOV/2005 6:09 PM
Assunto:  Wish

Mensagem: 

A desire, longing, or strong inclination for a specific thing.
An expression of a desire, longing, or strong inclination; a petition.
Something desired or longed for.

v. wished, wish·ing, wish·es
v. tr.
To long for; want. See Synonyms at desire.
To entertain or express wishes for; bid: He wished her good night.
To call or invoke upon: I wish them luck.
To order or entreat: I wish you to go.
To impose or force; foist: They wished a hard job on her.

v. intr.
To have or feel a desire: wish for the moon.
To express a wish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English wissh, from wisshen, to wish, from Old English wscan. See wen-1 in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wisher n.
Usage Note: Wish is widely used as a polite substitute for want with infinitives: Do you wish to sit at a table on the terrace? Anyone who wishes to may leave now. This usage is appropriate for formal style, where it is natural to treat the desires of others with exaggerated deference. The corresponding use of wish with a noun-phrase object is less frequent: Anyone who wishes an aisle seat should see an attendant. Both usages are likely to sound stilted in informal style, however, and want may be substituted for wish. ·A traditional rule requires the use of were rather than was in a contrary-to-fact statement that follows wish: I wish I were (not was) lighter on my feet. While many people continue to insist on upholding this rule, the indicative was in such clauses can be found in the works of many well-known writers. See Usage Note at if. See Usage Note at want.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

wish

In addition to the idiom beginning with wish, also see if wishes were horses.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

wish

n 1: a specific feeling of desire; "he got his wish"; "he was above all wishing and desire" [syn: wishing, want] 2: an expression of some desire or inclination; "I could tell that it was his wish that the guests leave"; "his crying was an indirect request for attention" [syn: indirect request] 3: (usually plural) a polite expression of desire for someone's welfare; "give him my kind regards"; "my best wishes" [syn: regard, compliments] 4: the particular preference that you have; "it was his last wish"; "they should respect the wishes of the people" v 1: hope for; have a wish; "I wish I could go home now" 2: prefer or wish to do something; "Do you care to try this dish?"; "Would you like to come along to the movies?" [syn: care, like] 3: have in mind; "I will take the exam tomorrow" [syn: will] 4: make or express a wish; "I wish that Christmas were over" 5: feel or express a desire or hope concerning the future or fortune of [syn: wish well] [ant: begrudge] 6: order politely; express a wish for 7: invoke upon; "wish you a nice evening"; "bid farewell" [syn: bid]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

wish

WISH: in Acronym Finder

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Wish  –  Fábio  03/NOV/2005, 5:50 PM
 Wish  –  Jeferson  03/NOV/2005, 6:09 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K