ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  04/NOV/2005 2:03 PM
Assunto:  Native speakers' inability to explain grammar

Mensagem: 

Ricardo: note this quote from Dale regarding native speakers poor ability to explain to a non-native speaker how the English grammar works. "His ears, eyes, and brain tell him that something is right or wrong, but he may not be able to explain why."  This is so true. Native speakers, even the well educated ones, seem to be incapable of articulating how the English grammar functions, even though he/she instictually employs perfect rules of grammar in his/her conversations. Likewise, semi-native speakers such as myself seem to have the same problems.

Now my question is, were an educated native speaker or I to engage in an intensive teaching program, how long would it take this hypothetical native or me to be able to clearly articulate how English grammar functions as well as you can?

As always I thank you in advance,

-Miguel Vieira

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Miguel Vieira  04/NOV/2005, 2:03 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Johannes  04/NOV/2005, 3:21 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Maria Valeska  04/NOV/2005, 3:26 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Ricardo - EMB -  04/NOV/2005, 3:30 PM
You said everything  –  Sebastian  04/NOV/2005, 3:57 PM
You said everything  –  Alexandre  05/NOV/2005, 2:48 AM
You said everything  –  pat  05/NOV/2005, 9:43 AM
You said everything  –  Alexandre  05/NOV/2005, 4:13 PM
You said everything  –  Sebastian - Irritated  06/NOV/2005, 7:43 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Miguel Vieira  04/NOV/2005, 8:44 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K