ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Maria Valeska
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  04/NOV/2005 3:26 PM
Assunto:  Native speakers' inability to explain grammar

Mensagem: 

I think that the inability to explain "grammar" happens not only with the English speakers but the ones native to other languages too. Let me explain. An educated person that speaks perfectly well a language is only able to explain it in terms of grammar after receiving training to do so. That is, when he/she learns grammar.

Brazilians start to learn Portuguese grammar early in school. And I am not a 100% sure but once I heard that Americans do not learn grammar in school, they learn mainly English literature. So how can you ask someone to understand, or teach, something he/she didn´t learn or was trained. Grammar is a set of rules/explanations (or, at least, they try to explain) devised by men to organize/explain. It is not spontaneous. Just like in biology you have to learn the names of things.

Maria Valeska

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Miguel Vieira  04/NOV/2005, 2:03 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Johannes  04/NOV/2005, 3:21 PM
 Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Maria Valeska  04/NOV/2005, 3:26 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Ricardo - EMB -  04/NOV/2005, 3:30 PM
You said everything  –  Sebastian  04/NOV/2005, 3:57 PM
You said everything  –  Alexandre  05/NOV/2005, 2:48 AM
You said everything  –  pat  05/NOV/2005, 9:43 AM
You said everything  –  Alexandre  05/NOV/2005, 4:13 PM
You said everything  –  Sebastian - Irritated  06/NOV/2005, 7:43 PM
Native speakers' inability to explain grammar  –  Miguel Vieira  04/NOV/2005, 8:44 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K