ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/NOV/2005 6:18 PM
Assunto:  To Dale - like white on rice

Mensagem: 

I used that expression on purpose, just to see if someone would show the interest to ask its meaning.  I'm sorry that I don't have a prize for you.

Let's take a look at it:

To be on someone like white on rice.

Most rice we buy is white, correct?  Can you imagine how difficult it would be to remove that white?  Impossible, right?

When we say that we're going to be on someone like white on rice, we mean that we are going to be very demanding, very attentive, very strict, very controlling, etc. and there is nothing that the person can do to stop us.  This expression is often heard in police films when a policeman tells a criminal that he is going to watch every move, every step that the criminal takes and the criminal will be unable to stop him.  You have trouble with your son.  You want him to do something that he doesn't want to do,  You can tell him that you're going to be on him like white on rice, meaning that you are going to observe everything he does and you will punish him if he does not do what he is supposed to do.  Inter just played Boca Junior.  Inter won, right?  I didn't see the game, but...my guess is that Inter dominated the field, that Inter was on Boca Junior like white on rice, completely controlling the game and the ball. 

I've often thought of writing about one slang expression per day in the forum, but I don't know if there would be any interest.  Students tend to like slang because it helps them feel that they are speaking "street English" not just "book English".  I love slang.  When it's appropriate, of course!  Speaking without slang to add color to our language is like having churrasco without a caipirinha, going to Rio without going to Copacabana, like seeing a pretty girl in an American swimsuit instead of a tanga, like....  Well, I think you understand what I mean!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Dale - like white on rice  –  Gus.  08/NOV/2005, 1:31 PM
 To Dale - like white on rice  –  Dale/RS  08/NOV/2005, 6:18 PM
To Dale - like white on rice  –  Lou  08/NOV/2005, 8:17 PM
To Dale - like white on rice  –  Ricardo - EMB -  08/NOV/2005, 11:09 PM
To Ricardo - expressions  –  André Oliveira  09/NOV/2005, 6:59 AM
To Dale - like white on rice  –  André Oliveira  09/NOV/2005, 6:58 AM
To Dale - like white on rice  –  Rick Leal  09/NOV/2005, 8:02 AM
To Dale - like white on rice  –  Lou  09/NOV/2005, 9:29 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.