ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/NOV/2005 8:50 AM
Assunto:  AmSlang 1

Mensagem: 

"AmSlang" will be the name of daily definitions of American slang that I will be posting.  f you have a specific area of interest, drop me a line at Dale.Thomas@hy.com.br  and I'll try to come up (invent, think of) with slang words or expressions that meet your needs and interests.

Remember that "slang" is never plural.  We can't say "I love slangs" when we mean "Gosto de girias."  We can, however, say "I love slang expressions, I love words in slang, I love slang words, etc."

Rise and shine!

This is a very common way to say "Wake up!"  It is less formal than "Wake up!" and you'll often hear parents say it to their children with great affection.  Note that "rise" and "shine" are both related to the sun.  You are telling the person to "rise" (get out of bed) and "shine" (like the sun).  "To shine" also has the meaning "to excell, to do a wonderful job, to do one's best."  By the way, a common term of endearment when talking to a child in the morning is "sunshine".  "Good morning, sunshine?  How are you today?  Ready to get up?"

Up and at'em!

This is yet another way to say "Wake up!".  Note that "at'em" is colloquial for "at them".  Nobody...nobody...says "Up and at them!"  Nobody.  "Up and at'em!" means more or less "Wake up and attack the problems of the day!"  It can be said to children, but I'd expect to hear it said to adults.

Hit the deck!

This is common among men, and it also means "Wake up!".  The expression is from the US Navy and the US Marine Corps.  A "deck" is a "convés".  In the Navy and Marines, regardless if they are on a ship or on land, they routinely use nautical terms.  The floor is not the floor, it's the deck.  A wall is not a wall, it's a bulkhead (anteparo).  In combat, "Hit the deck!" also means "Lie down quickly on the ground!"  You'll hear often this expression in war movies.

Time to get up.  / It's time to get up.

Yet another way to say "Wake up!"  When a parent is awakening a child, it's common to hear "Time to get up, sleepyhead."  (sleepyhead = a person who is sleepy)  It's a very sweet and tender way to awaken a child or spouse.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 AmSlang 1  –  Dale/RS  09/NOV/2005, 8:50 AM
AmSlang 1  –  Johannes  09/NOV/2005, 9:42 AM
AmSlang 1 - To Dale!  –  Gus  09/NOV/2005, 11:19 AM
AmSlang 1  –  Tiago  09/NOV/2005, 1:38 PM
AmSlang 1  –  Dale/RS  09/NOV/2005, 6:15 PM
AmSlang 1  –  Tiago T.  09/NOV/2005, 7:14 PM
AmSlang 1  –  Rick Leal  10/NOV/2005, 8:30 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K