ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/NOV/2005 3:48 AM
Assunto:  AmSlang #4

Mensagem: 

Today I'd like to thank Lou and Pat for my "inspiration".

"Kick off" is a football term.  Just as Brazilians use a lot of soccer related terms in everyday speech, Americans use terms from sports popular in our country.  The "kick off" is the start of a football game, and it refers to a place-kick of the football.  In addition to its everyday meaning, it's also informal English for "beginning, start", and "to kick off" means "to begin, start, initiate". 

We kicked off the new model in June. =  Lançamos o novo modelo em junho." 

The party kicks off at ten.

A rock and roll band will kick off the dance with some tunes from Iron Maiden.

The new administration will kick off its four year program with the announcement of the construction of ten hospitals.

(Be aware that "to kick off" has another, very different meaning in slang:  "to die".  I've never heard it used to mean "to die violently".  The expression is insensitive and rude, so I don't recommend saying to a friend, "Sorry about your Mom kicking off."  But you could say to a friend, "Remember that biology teacher we didn't like, the one that flunked us?  I heard he got some kind of bug (infection, illness) and kicked off.")
.....................................................................................................................................
If someone is enchendo saco, what do you say to him?  Some very common expressions are:
Get a life!
Bite me!
Drop dead!
Get lost!
Take a long walk on a short pier.
Go fly a kite!
Take a hike!
Bug off!
And the rudest of these is, without a doubt:  Eat my shorts!  (Note that "shorts" in this phrase refers to "cuecas".)  

All of these expressions can be put in the form of a question.  For example, "Why don't you take a long walk on a short pier?" is very common.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 AmSlang #4  –  Dale/RS  12/NOV/2005, 3:48 AM
AmSlang #4  –  Johannes  12/NOV/2005, 12:42 PM
AmSlang #4  –  pat  12/NOV/2005, 1:02 PM
AmSlang #4  –  Lou  12/NOV/2005, 8:38 PM
AmSlang #4  –  pat  12/NOV/2005, 10:45 PM
AmSlang #4  –  Dale/RS  13/NOV/2005, 2:45 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K