ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/NOV/2005 2:45 AM
Assunto:  AmSlang #4

Mensagem: 

Lou, thanks for the interesting question.  I agree that "Eat my shorts" would be expected from a man and not a woman, but follow my reasoning; a woman would not refer to her undergarments as "shorts", but a man would or could refer to his in that fashion.  On the other hand, if you saw the film "G.I. Jane", you heard Demi Moore (in anger and under lots of pressure) tell the master chief to do something to her that was physically impossible for him to do.  The master chief might have been able to do it to her husband, but most definitely not to her.  A lot closer to home, around five years ago I was crossing a quiet street when a twit (babaca) turned her car into the crosswalk and almost ran over me.  I called her...yes, her...a stupid son of a bitch.  Please explain to me how a woman could be a son of anything.  But I was very angry at the time and the words came out.  I laughed about it later, but at the time I was pretty hot under the collar.  Under pressure, people do and say some strange things.  I would imagine that a lot of marriages take place for the same reason! 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
AmSlang #4  –  Dale/RS  12/NOV/2005, 3:48 AM
AmSlang #4  –  Johannes  12/NOV/2005, 12:42 PM
AmSlang #4  –  pat  12/NOV/2005, 1:02 PM
AmSlang #4  –  Lou  12/NOV/2005, 8:38 PM
AmSlang #4  –  pat  12/NOV/2005, 10:45 PM
 AmSlang #4  –  Dale/RS  13/NOV/2005, 2:45 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K