ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  15/NOV/2005 4:44 PM
Assunto:  Orland & Gus

Mensagem: 

Orlando, an excellent example.  "The Office of the District Attorney has announced its plans to go after deadbeat dads."  Your translation was tops.

Gus, you're the native speaker of Portuguese, not I.  I'm only aware of the meaning "unreliable, deadbeat, etc."  Such a person can certainly be called a "bum".  By "bum", we're not implying that he wanders from place to place, not overly fond of hard work, accepts handouts, etc.  No, we mean that he makes a minimal contribution to society.  It's common to call the members of an opposing team "bums".  It's an insult, although a relatively mild one.  It's certainly nothing like the insults I heard when André took me to an Inter game.  I'm still blushing.  A "deadbeat" is someone who is financially irresponsible, who has selective memory when bills are due.

Gus, did you see the western series "Lonesome Dove"?  Robert Duvall played "Gus", a former captain of the Texas Rangers.  Great role.  Great character.  The novel is as good as, if not better than, the series.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Orland & Gus  –  Dale/RS  15/NOV/2005, 4:44 PM
Orland & Gus  –  André Oliveira  15/NOV/2005, 5:56 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K