ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/NOV/2005 11:26 PM
Assunto:  Soccer mom

Mensagem: 

I certainly don't see soccer as an upper class sport in the USA.  Middle and lower classes, maybe.  For many years there have been youth soccer leagues for boys and girls.  I used to watch a godson and his brother play baseball (Little League).  Some money was required for the uniforms, equipment, etc. 

Soccer is still of limited popularity among adults, but in time the millions of children who have played soccer will be adults, and what are they going to want to watch on TV? 

Soccer in the USA is still primarily of interest to adult immigrants. I can only speak of the Los Angeles area, but LA has dozens of adult teams whose members come from Latin America.  All of the amateur games I attended were between Latin teams.   As I recall, the allegedy "local" professional teams had mostly Latin American players.  I remember clearly that the best known professional coach in Los Angeles was Costa Rican.

Baseball, basketball, and (American) football are traditional American games, but soccer has several advantages over them.  Baseball is a game of patience.  (In other words, it's as boring as hell.)  Baseball, basketball, and football require equipment.  You don't have to be tall to play basketball, but it's certainly an advantage.  You don't have to be the size of a small mountain to play football, but it's certainly an advantage.  Soccer, on the other hand requires a ball and guys who want to play it.  Size is not important.  Baseball, by the way, is a real bargain in the USA.  It's much cheaper to watch a baseball game than a basketball or football game.  Much cheaper.  If you want to see a professional basketball or football game in the US, you need to decide:  Do I go to the game or do I make a payment on the car?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Soccer mom  –  Tiago T.  16/NOV/2005, 8:00 PM
Soccer mom  –  Miguel Vieira  16/NOV/2005, 8:06 PM
Soccer mom  –  Geovaine  16/NOV/2005, 8:09 PM
Soccer mom  –  Dale/RS  16/NOV/2005, 8:23 PM
Soccer mom  –  Tiago T.  16/NOV/2005, 9:09 PM
 Soccer mom  –  Dale/RS  16/NOV/2005, 11:26 PM
Soccer mom  –  Tiago T.  16/NOV/2005, 11:53 PM
Soccer mom  –  Dale/RS  17/NOV/2005, 12:31 AM
Soccer mom  –  Miguel Vieira  17/NOV/2005, 4:35 PM